pension credit while on pip — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

pension credit while on pip

road2ruin Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited July 2018 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi. I'm trying to find out if I'm entitled to get pension credits as my pension is due in November and I have got some gaps, I have been on pip since June 2015 but never had had any credits, can I claim back these credits for the last 3 years, I'm not working due to ill health and my disability for the last 6 years.


  • wilko
    wilko Member Posts: 2,457 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community, sorry but I think you cannot claim the past unpaid years of NI contributions unless you wish or can afford to pay the missed years. If you are claiming ESA you are credited your NI payments as if you where in full time employment. You can go on government pension forcast site or ring up for a pension forecast which is sent out in the post to you after you have answered a few information questions. Using the web site is a bit of a bind with user codes ect.
  • Liam_Alumni
    Liam_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,101 Pioneering
    Hi @roadtoruin,

    Have you tried our benefits calculator tool? This can give you an idea of whether you are eligible for Pension Credit.

    Hope this helps!
  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,622 Pioneering
    You can't claim Pension Credit until you reach Pension Credit age (which is pension age for a woman - by the end of the year, this will be the same for everyone). 

    Pension Credit does NOT rely on national insurance contributions, but your state pension does.

    If you've been claiming ESA or UC then you may have got credits for limited capability for work. If you haven't been claiming ESA, it's not too late to make a 'credits only' claim (if there's some reason you can't actually get the benefit). 

    The first step, as others have suggested, is to use the pension forecast tool. Then if you are not getting national insurance credits at the moment, think about getting them (either via benefits or by a 'credits only' claim for ESA). You can get credits for limited capability for work backdated quite a long way, so this is well worth doing. You can also explain why you didn't apply for the credits before and you may get them backdated even further.

    You can pay voluntary contributions for missing years, but check first how much is missing and whether you qualify for national insurance credits instead, and how far back you can get them.

    Finally, as others have suggested, it's not always worth paying voluntary contributions -it may not make a big difference to your pension. And if your state pension isn't very high and you're on PIP, you stand a good chance of getting some Pension Credit on top (try the benefits calculator once you know what level your pension is going to be). 


    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering

    As others have said on this thread, your first port of call, is to get a pension forecast.

    Thereafter, you should seek the assistance of Age UK, via helpline tel: 0800 055 6112.

    By way of example, once you reached the age of 60 yrs, you have NI credits till your state pension age, I suggest you will be 66 years of age by then.

    Importantly, you would be entitled to the severe disabilty premium, because of your PIP award, which is £64 per week on top of your pension credit.

    I would strongly advise that you seek expert advice, about buying extra years for your state pension.

    I am tagging this @TheBenefitsTrainingCo for their considered opinion, on this post.

    Best wishes
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,358 Disability Gamechanger
    atlas46 said:

    Importantly, you would be entitled to the severe disabilty premium, because of your PIP award, which is £64 per week on top of your pension credit.

    This would only be possible if the other person lived alone, or was classed as living alone and no one claimed Carers Allowance for looking after them. If they live with a partner, then the partner must also claim a qualifying benefit to be able to claim the SDP.
  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering

    That is why I suggested, that he/ she contact Age UK for specific advice.

    Rather than second guessing.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.