WRAG and Jobcentre Tomorrow Advice needed — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

WRAG and Jobcentre Tomorrow Advice needed

Lynette1066 Member Posts: 47 Connected
I need quick advice for Jobcentre. Only had the call today I had to go to interview. 12 months WRAG. Not going to appeal it.
I have PTSD, I do not socialize, Domestic Abuse survivor. What help can I ask for in jobcentre? What should I ask?
My claim dates back to 2012 so extra money? Only had medical 6 weeks ago.


  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Lynette1066, we wish you the very best of luck with your assessment. I hope others are able to help you with this :)

  • BenefitsTrainingCo
    BenefitsTrainingCo Member Posts: 2,628 Pioneering

    Hi, yes if your limited capability/incapacity for work goes back that far then you should get extra money in your ESA, which is called the work-related activity component - it's worth £29.05 a week.

    Not sure if you've already had the interview (it's Sunday today), so may be too late, but I'd recommend:
    • explaining what you can & cannot do (so if going to work-related activity with other people would be traumatizing for you, explain why)
    • being clear that you do NOT have to apply for jobs
    • understanding that you may have to do work preparation but this shouldn't involve actually applying for any work.
    It's very depressing but despite the name of the benefit, ESA often doesn't offer much support. However, it is always worth asking if there is anything you think would help you. Bear in mind that work-related activity is anything which makes it more likely you will work in the future, so if there is anything you think you might be able to do in the future (eg work from home), you could mention this. Are there any online free courses they can suggest that might help you? Or, in relation to your condition, any therapeutic things you can do? However, you can't be required to have medical treatment you don't want.

    All your work-related activity should be recorded in an 'action plan'. If you haven't got a written copy, you should have one! If you don't agree with the plan, you can ask for it to be reconsidered. 

    You can't be forced to do work experience either.

    Finally, I know you don't want to appeal, but if the JC+ say you have to do work-related activity which you know is going to make your health worse, then there is an argument you should actually be in the support group. If you do decide to appeal after all, as you probably know, you have to ask for a mandatory reconsideration first.

    Hope this helps. Let us know how you got on if you've already had the interview. And if not, hoping that the person you see is supportive and helpful (it does sometimes happen!)

    The Benefits Training Co:
    Paul Bradley
    Michael Chambers
    Will Hadwen
    Sarah Hayle
    Maria Solomon
    David Stickland


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.