Legal organisation for a family who have special needs? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Legal organisation for a family who have special needs?

Earna19 Member Posts: 4 Listener
I have Dyslexia and disprixoa and my husband has Adhd  have two tween children age 14 and 17 (17 has Adhd a high functioning Austisum ) feel discriminated from the Authority s we sort help when our 14 year had a spell of running away from home last Summer
And we sort help from the Authority blamed on how disabilities 
My 14 year old is know living with my mum
Has since settle but the Authority want to but on SGO special guidanship on my parents and I have since refused this oder and want to keep it has Parental oder, 
Our solicitor very weak 
Just wanted to know if their was an legal organisation for family who special needs to support us in court


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,946 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Earna19
    Welcome to the community! So sorry to hear about your current situation. I am unsure how to advise however another member of the community may be able to help and will be in contact with you soon :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Earna19 and a very warm welcome to the community! I am really sorry to hear about your situation- it sounds like you have been through a lot recently! I will move your post and I hope you can gain advice about this. Please let me know if there is anything else that I can do to help :)

  • Earna19
    Earna19 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi Chloe
    Thanks for
    Your reply. 
    I would like to know if Scope mentioring/befriending scheme for my 17 year old who has Adhd and high functioning Austisum  and Anxiety 
    She very with her attence at collage 
    She values friendship than
    Her studies 
    Evev if phone support if not you can provide face to face
    I live in East London NEWHAM
    AND THE Same for my Adult Adhd Husband (I would like to know how to set up one for adults) 

  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering

    Have these issues about your son, been dealt with in the Family Court yet?

    Have Cafcass (Children and Family Court Advisory and Support Service), been involved to date?

    What are the wishes of your 14 year old son, about these issues?

  • Earna19
    Earna19 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hi atlas46
    Yes the issue have been dealt with at a family court, were happy with how daughter staying at my mum but through the courts were we one agreed to special guidanship we are know disagreeing because we have to agree to the claims they but towards how parenting and be restricted to see my daughter, I have contacted 
    Family rights they can not get involve because we have a solicter dealing with the case
    We have two right up a statement to how solicter for next court case final evidence 
  • Earna19
    Earna19 Member Posts: 4 Listener
    My daughter wants to stay with my mum because she gets her own room
    She finds it difficult sharing with her older sister

  • atlas46
    atlas46 Member Posts: 826 Pioneering
    Hi @Earna19

    Suggest you contact MENCAP helpline on tel: 0808 808 1111, they have their own in house legal team, whom I am sure will be able help with legal advice or point you in the right direction.

    I have not been able to find any legal organisations the helps with special needs.

    But I do know MECAP keeps list of solicitors the have an interest in special needs.

    Did you get legal aid?

    Hope this helps and please keep us informed.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,557 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Earna19, we do not offer mentoring unfortunately. However, here is the link to find out what services we do provide. This can also be searched using a postcode. I hope this helps :)

  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,798 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @Earna19, there are also some helpful links on this 'how to find legal help' page which may be worth a look at!


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.