What would be required of my older mum on UC? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

What would be required of my older mum on UC?

chris_sims Member Posts: 10 Listener
edited September 2018 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hello, following on from my previous posts we are still fighting a ESA MR and possibly a tribunal after my mum failed her assessment but further down the line depending on if my mum gets better and she was to start job searching on UC, what roughly would be realistically expected of her as she has depression, anxiety, is 57, long-term unemployment, lacking confidence and would only be after part time work ideally?

I realise you would maybe be required to look for more, everyone’s experience is different and up to the work coach etc but i have seen some people say they can be lenient if you are still seeking work but not to the full extent if you were well and fit so would like to know the ins and out of that. She wants to get back out there at some point but is scared of how people with similar age, conditions or like her may be treated or is it not always as doom and gloom as what we see?

Many thanks, any and all stories/experience very welcome


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,607 Disability Gamechanger
    If the MR or Tribunal goes in her favour and her condition improves enough for her to find some work, then she should look at permitted work for ESA. In the meantime, i would concentrate on the MR then Tribunal before thinking of anything else. Good luck.
  • chris_sims
    chris_sims Member Posts: 10 Listener
    Thanks, we are concentrating on the MR then tribunal but im just checking options and experiences for later down the line when shes ready to get back into society because she wants to so bad.

    She doesnt just want to exist but wants to live.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 28,607 Disability Gamechanger
  • chris_sims
    chris_sims Member Posts: 10 Listener
    See permitted work rules, for ESA only.

    Thanks Poppy, this is without a doubt an excellent idea if and when she gets awarded again because we want her to be able to get back out there in her own pace (or as best as possible) and learn, see and apreciate what its like to be on your own 2 feet again earning and living, noted thanks

    Does anyone else have any experiences or suggestions of possible work programmes, charitys, agencys, help and support or anything that could accommodate her back into society because she will always have to deal and live with certain mental conditions like anxiety and also older age (57) and a period of very long unemployment and no relevent work history or skills so you could say shes starting again but feels she soon will be ready to do it given the right help and support systems in place?

    Many thanks to all


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.