Confused about my ESA — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Confused about my ESA

dannidixon2017 Member Posts: 2 Listener
I’m looking fo advice and information plz I moved through domestic violence and due to housing benefit my income has changed I was Esa income based and severe disablement allowance combined at. 370 2 weekly and now I’m on  contribution based Esa  105 a week 141 universal credit monthly I’ve seen another universal payment or Esa in it and get in the supported group but dnt know how to get into that when or even how to apply as I am in total wrong section and it’s left me in debt thT will take me at ,east two month get out off and still lost in when and what to pay when u get paid and get food it’s totally muddled me up help,!!!!!


  • Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community Co-Production Group Posts: 7,941 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dannidixon2017
    Welcome to the community! Sorry to hear the situation you are currently in. I am unsure how to advise however another member of the community may be able to help you and will be in contact with you soon. Please let us know if there is anything else we can help you with! :)
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Pippa_Alumni
    Pippa_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 5,799 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @dannidixon2017, and welcome! Great to have you here. 

    I've moved your post into our ESA discussions, where hopefully some of our experienced members and advisors will be able to offer some guidance. In the meantime, you can find out more about ESA on Scope's website.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,930 Disability Gamechanger

    As you're claiming Contributions based ESA then this amount will be deducted from your UC. The Severe disability premium that you were claiming on ESA is not paid on UC so you will have lost this amount. The DWP announced in June that those who had to move to UC because of a change of circumstances and were claiming SDP on ESA will be paid back the money they lost, however no further announcements have been made as to when this will happen. Further announcement is expected sometime this Autumn. Unfortunately until then the SDP will not be paid.

    Are you claiming the housing element in with your UC? You need to check your online account to see if it is, if it's not then you'll need your tenancy agreement to be able to claim this part and you should take it to your local job centre.

    Council Tax reduction isn't part of UC and needs to be claimed separately from your local council.

    If you still think your UC amounts are incorrect then i'd advise a visit to your local CAB who will give you a full benefits check based on your circumstances.
  • Weeme56
    Weeme56 Member Posts: 36 Courageous
    She asked about her Severe Disablement ALLOWANCE not SDP. I have had the same problem & everythime I call DWP they talk about SDP! They have sneakily taken SDA off people when migrating them onto other benefits. & this has resulted in loss of Disability Premium. If you were awarcded SDA you were entitel to a Disability premium - you did not have to be getting DLA. I've been hitting my head against a brick wall over this with DWP I found archived Directgov site that tells you this, but damned if i can get DWP to admit it or do anything abiout it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 23,930 Disability Gamechanger
    @Weeme56 Severe disablement Allowance no longer exists, it was replaced by incapacity benefit in 2001 and IB was replaced by ESA. See link for confirmation.

    SDP is a totally different benefit and paid to those that live alone or classed as living alone and receive a disability benefit.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.