Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
To the Scope team (about featuring my Scoliosis story)
I was wondering if you would feature my Scoliosis story on the front page of your website or in the features section? I have attached a photo of myself with this email. Below is my Scoliosis story.
My name is Sarah and i am 34 years old. I was born with Scoliosis, which is a curve of the spine. Scoliosis isn't as well known as some conditions/disabilities. I wore a corset brace for a while, when I was at school. After a while I didn't need to wear it anymore. Years a go, a doctor said it would be too dangerous for me to have surgery for my Scoliosis, so I didn't have it. I am short in stature for my age because of Scoliosis. I can walk but when I go out I use a wheelchair (one that someone pushes me in) because I get tired walking. Every 4 or 8 months, (depends if my results are good) I have lung function appointments at a hospital. My results were good at my appointment in April. My next appointment is in December. I live on my own, but i have carers two days a week, for 4 hours each day.
I have a Facebook blog page called See the person, not just the condition/disability
- 55.2K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 838 Work and employment
- 600 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 302 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 269 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.3K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.8K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 705 Chronic pain and pain management
- 718 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 773 Autism and neurodiversity
- 952 Mental health and wellbeing
- 314 Sensory impairments