Mental health issues
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Police complaint

SebbySebby Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited February 2019 in Mental health issues

I hope to receive support from the community. noone will discriminate me here 😍

Police is very Mental Health Stigma Attitude toward disabled people. Police told me that I cannot tell reality from imagination and disqualified me from making a police report in serious crime.

My Police complaint got disqualified too and there iz no investigation.

What do you think I should do?


  • thespicemanthespiceman Member Posts: 6,408 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Sebby Pleased to meet you welcome.

    Thank you for joining and sharing.

    Sorry to hear this.  I am one of the team of community champions who guide and advise new members who join.

    I am unsure how to advise you . With out you wishing to disclose your issue with the Police. I am sure there will be an answer some where.

    I have mental health issues and problems my self.

    All I can add happy to have you here. There will be members of our team or community be able to advise and guide you to find some answers.

    I am unsure of the legalities as well of making complaints against the Police.

    Please can I ask have you discussed this with any one else. Like your support worker or mental health team if you have them.

    I know that might be useful if you do.

    Please take care.

    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.
  • izyizy Member Posts: 4 Listener
    Hello Sebby 

    This sounds like a most peculiar thing for the Police to do. I would first go to my doctor and explain it to him, then he will direct you to the right person to sort it out, a social worker or your mental health team. I'm not much help really but if I ever have a problem to do with my mental health and the community I talk it over with my doctor first even though I have a care team. If nothing else it gets it clear in my head what I want sorted out.

    I hope you get the answers you need

    Best wishes

  • Antonia_AlumniAntonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @sebby thank you for sharing this with us.

    Getting in touch with your GP may be a good idea, please keep us updated on how things go.
  • BenistmonkBenistmonk Member Posts: 343 Pioneering
    Sue them for discrimination.
  • RoddyRoddy Member Posts: 389 Pioneering
    I agree with Benistmonk. However, your first course of action would be to contact your Local Authority, and if they cannot or refuse to help, then you can ask your local MP or the Community Care Ombudsmen. It's important to begin from the bottom and then work upwards. Civil Legal Advice are also very good and can put you in touch with a specialist solicitor, but trust me. just issuing the papers can cost upwards of £2500 and that's just to register the claim at the court!  You may be entitled to Legal Help (finance) but it is means tested and here is no guarantee. Discrimination is difficult to prove, and you must be able to prove that you were discriminated ONLY because of your disability In this instance. Added to this, taking on the Police is a very very long-slog and there's only a slim chance that you'll succeed. I mean, look at other high-profile cases! Some have taken 25+ years to resolve... All said, contact your Local Authority and then go from there. 
  • vysvadervysvader Member Posts: 134 Courageous
    edited March 2019
    One can seem to think that before you take any action, it would be reasonable to collect some evidence (it must cope with the law, too). 

    I'm not sure about the hierarchy but the police work for the local authority, so maybe there's also someone else than the local... There are not only costs and 99% of people those will avoid you for any cost (I'm not sure how many people will wanna step on the side of someone with mental health problems instead of an authority having power and in numbers > 1), but I've also seen a lawyer happy to take discrimination cases for disabled, homosexual, and others falling under the Equality Act 2010. Not because of a big heart, because it's supposed to bring cash, big cash (what's very reasonable when discrimination causes prolonged financial, psychical, and any other loses touching any aspect of the quality of life. By the way, many or rather of mental health disabled could bring a story...). The last guy which I had seen, he drained a company for harassment (comments about his sexual orientation those in comparison to your case... you might see it as very lightweight) and worse work placement. He got enough to buy a house and compensate for some years of work. 
    You can feel free to get in touch 
Sign in or join us to comment.