what happens after esa ends after a year? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

what happens after esa ends after a year?

cats693 Member Posts: 17 Connected
Hi to all today!☺ can anyone tell me what happens when your ESA ends after the 365 days. I was pit on ESA late last year, 2018, with Depression, Agoraphobia and Fibromyalgia. Im worred they will try to get me back to work, but after working for 17 as a GPs receptionist,  the work became intolerable, I had to leave as it affected me in so many ways, but in tat time I have become aware of what im unable to do now. Im 63 this month and its stressing me out just thinking of going through the medical process again. Any advice welcome!??‍♀️


  • Antonia_Alumni
    Antonia_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,781 Pioneering
    Hi @cats693 :) How are you doing today? I am sorry to hear you have been feeling stressed out. According to the Citizen Advice website:

    If you’re in the work-related activity group and get contribution-based ESA, you’ll only get it for up to a year. This includes time before your medical assessment. If your disability or illness gets worse and you would qualify for the support group, you can ask the DWP to re-assess you even after the year’s finished.

    If you’re in the support group or getting income-related ESA, your claim will be ongoing.

    Find out more about the ESA groups.

    The DWP will usually re-assess your ability to work every 1, 2 or 3 years to make sure you’re still not fit to work.

    If you’re in the support group, the DWP might decide they won’t need to re-assess you in future - they’ll tell you in the decision letter they send you. They’ll only do this if your condition’s unlikely to improve much in the future, and this means you’ll always be in the support group. You can find more information here.

  • cats693
    cats693 Member Posts: 17 Connected
    Thank you Antonia, thats a great help, i did forget to say I am in the Support Group of ESA, they told I would be reviewed in October 19.  I've had Agorphobia for 40yrs, can't see that getting any better and my FM is very unpredictable. Its nice to know i may not need to worry too much now. Many thanks.???
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Member Posts: 87 Courageous
    Hi when 365 days on CB ESA finishes you can apply for IR ESA by filling in a ESA3 form its not a reassessment form although it says this its to see if you qualify for IRESA which is then ongoing. You will  have work capability assessments every so often to see if you still qualify etc. You can get an ESA3 form from Job Centers or DWP can send you one. Its best to ask a few weeks before 365 days ends as it can then be sorted out in time and you won't be left without money.
  • cats693
    cats693 Member Posts: 17 Connected
    Im not sure what im on except ESA suppot group. Nothing was put in the letter I  received as to how long it was for, I rang the DWP  and the informed me it would be until November 19. But I thourght once you were placed on the Support Group you didnt need further medicals. I get and got confused at the beginning of the claim its been over 20 years since I made claims for benefits. Im not very good at the moment, i get frustated because confused.
  • Silver925
    Silver925 Member Posts: 87 Courageous
    Its only if your in Work Related Activity Group you need to apply for IRESA after 365 days because only Support Group CBESA is ongoing as long as you stay in Support Group. If your not sure which group your in phone DWP. If its Support Group you should be OK. Unfortunately everyone gets reassessed except those considered unlikely to improve health wise. Good luck.
  • Threesticks
    Threesticks Member Posts: 128 Pioneering
    Should you be getting retirement pension at six three ?
    If you fight, you won't always win. But if you don't fight you will always always lose.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.