Universal Credit
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

My sons sick paper for universal credit assessment

CatsAndPussys63CatsAndPussys63 Member Posts: 3 Listener
edited August 2019 in Universal Credit
Hi everyone. Well my 20 year old son was diagnosed with oppositional defiance disorder when he was 16 and personality disorder at 20. He had 3 skull fractures   resulting in a severe head injury at the age of 4 because a man broke into my flat and attacked my son in his room. Anyway, he's never been the same since it happened to him.  Hewas not referred to the correct department  when he was little even though I kept on taking him back and for to my go explaining that he'd got worse but never got anywhere. Last year after me finally getting a very understanding locum at our surgery to refer him to a neurologist, I phoned up the hospital to see if i could find out when he would be seen and was told that my son should definately have been referred  when he was little and now it was too late! Fast forward to now and he's lout in a claim for universal credit. So we went and got a sick paper from a locum  I had never seen before.. when we got home I noticed it only had 'low mood' printed where his diagnosis should be? The medical assessment is this morning and iam worried sick about what  they will make of this and will there be no chance of him getting any money and also pressure on him to work?  I am disabled myself and on universal credit and because I couldn't get him to claim benefits I've kept him for 4 years and can't go on like this. He suffers from bad anxiety, constant depression, bad mood swings also social anxiety. Please help aim desperate


  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger

    I'm sorry to hear that!

    As you have only very recently claimed Universal Credit for your son then the first appointment isn't a medical assessment. It's an appointment to confirm his identity and to start his UC claim. The sick/fit note is there just the say his GP think he's unfit for work.
    If he has no savings/capital over £16,000 and is single then there will be no reason for them to refuse his claim, unless he's a student.

    He will receive £251.77 per month which is the standard allowance for under 25's and first payment will be in 5 weeks.

    A fit note from a GP doesn't automatically entitle him to limited capability for work. It's his work coaches discretion whether they turn of job searches in his claimant commitment. Some work coaches are very understanding but others not so much. If he does have a work coach that isn't understanding then he can request a different one and hopefully they will be more understanding.

    He will need to continue to send in the fit notes until he's assessed for limited capability for work. He will be referred for a work capability assessment, which should be 29 days after sending the first fit note but this doesn't always happen on time.  He'll then be sent a work capability assessment form to fill in and return with all his evidence to support his claim. Once this has been received he'll most likely have to attend a work capability assessment with the health assessment providers. Once this has been done a report will be returned to DWP and a decision will be made on his claim. All of this can take several months.

    May i ask does he claim PIP or DLA?
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • CatsAndPussys63CatsAndPussys63 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Hi Poppy123456. Thank you so much for answering me. No     he hasn't claimed PIP yet. He's going to send for the form tomorrow. ive got no supporting evidence because after being diagnosed he never received  any letters . Shouldbi contact the psychiatrist orvgpnor send for his medical records?
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome. You can request his medical records from his GP it's free to receive digital copies of those. When you do receive them i'd advise you to have a look through to see what you can use as evidence. I don't advise you to send all of his medical records because some of it may not be relevant and sending huge amounts of evidence means they may not read it.

    Any reports from his psychiatrist will be helpful.

    You will need evidence for both claims.
    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,653 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @CatsAndPussys63 and welcome to the community!

    Just to let you know that I have merged the two posts you made into one. It is very common for posts to come through multiple times!

    I hope @poppy123456's great advice has been helpful. How did the meeting this morning go?

Sign in or join us to comment.