Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Hi, my name is JazzaG!. I need help regarding backdating Income Support..
I used to get middle rate care and higher rate mobility when I was on DLA, when I transferred to PIP I was originally awarded enhanced care and lower rate mobility.
I had a PIP review in March, and was only given 6 points for daily living, reduced from 19 points on my previous assessment, despite my condition worsening.
As a result of this my Husband lost his care allowance (CA), then his Income Support (IS) was stopped after an 8 week run on.
I asked for a MR and in May I was awarded an extra 2 points, giving me lower rate care. We then asked for my Husband's CA and IS to be reinstated. We were told to sort the IS out when the CA was reinstated, because the IS would not even look at our claim until the CA was sorted. Unfortunately it took 13 weeks to get a decision on the CA, taking us into October. We had been living on my PIP and Child Tax Credit for 6 months. The CA was backdated to the date it was withdrawn, so I called DWP to have the IS reinstated and backdated. I was told that IS was now closed for new claims, and I would have to claim UC instead, which we did.
UC refused to backdate our claim. We received our first payment on 14 November. I asked for an MR on the IS decision which refused to change the decision, so I have appealed to the tribunal, I am still waiting for a date.
If anyone has any suggestions to support my case, I would be very grateful. I'm sorry for the length of the above, thank you for taking the time to read it all.
- 55.3K All Categories
- 10.8K Start here and say hello!
- 5.3K Coffee lounge
- 4.1K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.6K Research and opportunities
- 160 Community updates
- 12.3K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 840 Work and employment
- 600 Education
- 1.2K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1.1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 302 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 270 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 22.3K Talk about money
- 2.3K Benefits and financial support
- 4.5K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.8K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.7K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4.2K Talk about your impairment
- 1.4K Cerebral palsy
- 705 Chronic pain and pain management
- 718 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 774 Autism and neurodiversity
- 953 Mental health and wellbeing
- 314 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.