Need some advice on what to do — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Need some advice on what to do

rexen26 Member Posts: 8 Listener
Hi guys, I suffer from borderline personality disorder and generalised anxiety disorder it affects me a great deal

I have been on universal credit for around 2-3 years and I was accepted for PIP last October
All was going well until i received a letter through the door from DWP, its a Work Capability Assesment (WCA), asking me to fill it out and send it back with any medical evidence to support my claim

However its basically the exact same as the PIP assessment with some minor differences in things, and i sent off all my medical evidence to DWP with the PIP form ages ago

I dont want to send the WCA form and go for another assessment i really struggled last time was very close to having a full breakdown on the way home but im really worried they will cut my universal credit off if i dont do it

Do i need to call somewhere? if so who should i call to let them know ive already been for a medical assessment and sent off my medical evidence already?

Any help is greatly appreciated, thank you all in advance!!


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,695 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    I'm one of the community champions here on scope and i'm here to help and advise others.

    I'm afraid you will need to fill out that form and return it with all your evidence. PIP doesn't automatically qualify you for limited capability for work.

    PIP and the work capability assessment are totally different, with different criteria. The work capability assessment will assess your ability to do any type of work. PIP isn't about not being able to work and people claim this and work.

    If you don't return the form you will very likely be found fit for work for failing to return the form. You need to make sure it's filled in with as much information as possible and send relevant evidence with the form because they rarely contact anyone for this.

    Expect a work capability assessment (face to face) because most people have them.

  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,695 Disability Gamechanger
    Here's a guide to help with filling out the form. It states ESA but the forms are exactly the same because it's still the work capability assessment.

  • Franstrahan
    Franstrahan Member Posts: 898 Pioneering
    I do sympathize with you as soon will have a WCA, I have asd, also told by ex counsellor I've got high anxiety currently. Cannot understand when dwp have all the written evidence from our health professionals they still need to put people thru this. You have my very best wishes for a successful outcome and stress free as possible time with this. (But think they need to look on us all as individuals and change the system accordingly).
  • rexen26
    rexen26 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    edited January 2020
    @poppy123456 Hi Poppy thanks for the fast response really appreciate it

    As I stated in my OP, i already sent off all of my supporting medical documents to DWP when I applied for PIP last year,
    Will I need to go to my GP and have the same documents printed out?
    As DWP already have them i dont see why this would be neccessary :neutral: but if it means keeping my universal credit then im willing to do it

    Also do you think it may be possible to NOT have a face to face interview, if i mention my anxiety and paranoia that i suffer due to my BPD?
    i really struggle with leaving the house in general especially at the moment since my symptoms are much worse since ive been off of my medication

    Again thank you for ur help!

    @Franstrahan thank you so much :) i hope you are doing ok <3
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,695 Disability Gamechanger
    You're welcome,

    I realise you had a PIP assessment but they are different benefits and this means that you will need to send the evidence with the form to support your claim. They won't use the evidence you sent to support your PIP claim because of this reason.

    Whether you'll have a paper based assessment will depend what evidence you send, if it's enough a paper based assessment will be done, there's no harm in asking for this but because most people have face to face assessments then you should expect one of those. I wouldn't want to give you false hope.

    You say you've been claiming UC for 2-3 years, have you previously been assessed as having limited capability for work, or is this your first assessment?
  • rexen26
    rexen26 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    I understand :)
    I have never been assessed formally for UC but i remember my work coach mentioning something about having me put down as having limited capability for work, i havent had to visit the job centre or do much work search since that time, which has been around a year maybe longer, so this would be my first assessment
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,695 Disability Gamechanger
    That's a long time to wait for the work capability assessment form. Have you been sending in fit notes from your GP for all that time?

    As it's mental health you're claiming for then the above descriptors may not apply but regulation 31 may apply. This is substantial risk and it's explained here

    If the decision is LCWRA then you will receive extra money from the 4th month of your claim starting from when you sent your first fit note.

    Good luck.

  • rexen26
    rexen26 Member Posts: 8 Listener
    I have been sending fit notes the whole time yes, and that is surprising to hear, extra money from DWP?! Impossible!  :D
    I will visit my GP and have my medical documents printed for evidence and send them with the form asap
    Thank you ever so much!  <3
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 29,695 Disability Gamechanger
    You're very welcome. Yes, indeed, extra money but only if the decision is LCWRA, if it's just LCW then you won't receive the extra money.
  • thespiceman
    thespiceman Member Posts: 6,389 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @rexen26   Pleased to meet you.

    I am one of the team of Community Champions.  My friend @poppy123456 has been advising you.

    I have mental health issues and advise many members of the Community.

    Please if I can suggest with anything benefits.

    Please consider using mental health charities.

    All offer floating support and advice, guidance with your mental health, benefits. Included situations like this helping you fill out forms.

    In fact all my support workers filled in forms for me as they knew how to word every question correctly.

    Me at the side adding any thing relevant.  Would attend and have done Job centres offered solutions to the stress anxiety going through.

    Private rooms and be in attendance.

    Might also advise be supportive on anything else . Including housing, social and lifestyle. Meds, diet and nutrition very important.

    Might not be in all areas and you can self refer or speak to your GP.

    I have qualifications, knowledge experience through the  charities. Helped me gain these.

    Use these to advise Community members.

    Does help , eat healthy balanced diet. Plenty of whole grains, Bread, Pasta, Rice. Pulses and Beans.

    Lean Meat Chicken Turkey, plenty of fruit and vegetables.

    Milky drinks warm with honey aids restful sleep.

    Avoid all times, Caffeine, Tea, Cola, Chocolate, Coffee.

    Alcohol if using this please ask me for advice or consult GP.

    When we get anxious reach for Alcohol or the Caffeine. Consuming too much makes anxiety worse.

    I have an addiction history.  Been clean thirteen years and absenteeism .

    Please if you have any questions please ask, happy to be supportive.

    Please take care.


    Community Champion
    SCOPE Volunteer Award Engaging Communities 2019
    Mental Health advice, guidance and information to all members
    Nutrition, Diet, Wellbeing, Addiction.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.