Universal Credit Migration - Two Parent Caring for one child DLA middle rate — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Universal Credit Migration - Two Parent Caring for one child DLA middle rate

TheHitcher84 Member Posts: 1 Listener
Good afternoon all,

I wonder if someone could help or has been in a similar position. My DD is autistic & PDA and has sensory, safety and mobility issues and receives middle rate care component with DLA - both my wife and I share caring responsibility (over 70 hours a week as young DD needs constant supervision and care) - although I am the one who receives carers allowance as the main carer and my wife has/had a part time 16hr week job..

The question is - my wife is having to give up work currently as the demands of being carers is currently outstripping the ability to cope at home - we have also just had a specialist school placement fail on safeguarding concerns (with the school) and no new school place is expected until September 2020 at the earliest.

When my wife finishes at the end of this month and we make the changes with our LA and tax credits (currently get working families and child tax) - I've got a horrible feeling they are going to migrate us across to Universal credit.

When I have completed the entitled to and other checkers online it says that we should both be placed in the exempt from work section due to circumstances but to seek advice first as this might not be the case.

 Does anyone have any experience of a situation like this and how it is handled by the DWP Universal Credit offices where two parents are caring for one child who is classed as severely disabled (under the Universal credit rules) but only one of you gets carers allowance.

What we don't want to happen is for my wife to give up work to focus on demands of caring to then be told she has to work by the Universal Credit people....sort of defeats the purpose and reason of making the change in the first place!

Really grateful for any advice of those who have been in similar. Thank you 


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 31,374 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

    Your thoughts are correct and there could be issues here because you are classed as the main carer and it will most likely be up to the work coach what claimant commitments will be given.

    There could also be issues of giving up working to claim UC and there would be a sanction for 26 weeks.  If you do claim UC then your wife will need to make sure she tells them that she had no choice because of your child's disability and hopefully there won't be a sanction.

    Personally, i'd get some face to face advice from an advice agency near you before doing anything else. Good luck.
  • Chloe_Scope
    Chloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,545 Disability Gamechanger
    Welcome to the community @TheHitcher84! If you need support getting face to face advice then please let us know.


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.