Do I try and appeal? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Do I try and appeal?

leah597 Member Posts: 2 Listener
edited March 2020 in PIP, DLA, and AA

Hi there my name's Leah I am new to the site.

I had my pip reward letter come yesterday and my enhanced care has been dropped to standard.
The decision part the assessor wrote that i should not need any help anymore as I have enough medication to control my illnesses.
I suffer with depression, social anxiety, borderline personality, paranoid Schizophrenia, aspergers and fibromyalgia.
I explained in my documents I provided that the mental health team asked the council to waver the bedroom tax as I need a nightly carer, my medication is handled by my family and is not allowed in my home due to suicide risks, and I have also been advised by mental health nurse not to use the hot appliances in my home as the medication I take causes not just sleep walking but forgetfulness and I have left food cooking over night before.
When the assessor came to my flat my dad was there and he left the room and sat in the bedroom while I had the assessment, and then let her out once the assessment was over.
I was shocked today that the assessor has said that I should not need any help now as I receive medication for my illnesses, she also said I have no problem leaving the house because I was able to speak to her and she was a stranger. She said I eat 1-2 meals a day and I don't have a dieteition, this part especially confused me as I never said I did I have always said I can prepare cold food and have a stool to help with long standing but preparing hot food is too dangerous for me to do alone. And then she ended the note saying she has done me a favour by granting me pip until 2022.
I'm so upset I don't know what to do, at one point during the assessment I started crying and shaking and she said do you want me to stop the interview? And I said no I have to do this I got no choice, but in her decision letter she said I was calm and chatty during the assessment.
Do I try and appeal this now? I don't know it any more documents of proof I can get to help me, this woman is destroying my mental health and I can't remember what she looks like!!!! If she had blonde hair or brown? I couldn't even look at her the attire assessment.

Any help would be greatly appreciated, sorry for the rambling 


  • Denise11
    Denise11 Member Posts: 99 Pioneering
    Hi there Leah597

    I am so sorry to read about your PIP Assessment and how badly you were treated,  Having a stranger in your home must be horrible anyway although going must be worse.  You were very brave to carry on talking like you did.  I do think that you should appeal but next time ask your Dad to stay with you.  I had someone with me!  He knows you inside out, it's a 'Dad Thing' and he could help to get her to understand your problems more.  Some people lack empathy and do more than good and you have come up against that.  Reapply and have Day or someone else so that they can back you up.

    Take care and let us know what happens.  Okay?  Denise II 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,537 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello and welcome to the community, I am sorry to hear your PIP award has been lowered and you don't agree with the assessor.

     It is your decision if you take this any further by submitting a MR but majority of these only give the same outcome and most end up at tribunal which can be a very long process with waiting times for tribunal in excess of 12 months in some cases/

    I would suggest getting some expert advice from citizens advice 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.