Sdp? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.


oakridge Member Posts: 9 Listener
Hi. I'm currently on esa, support group and have recently found out I've qualified for pip.
Standard daily component with no mobility.
I've read that as I have these benefits and live alone, I'll qualify for the severe disability premium.
Is this correct? If so is it added to pip, esa esa or paid seperately?
Thanks in advance.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,776 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 2020

    It will depend what ESA you're claiming. If it's the old Contributions based ESA or Income Related ESA then yes you'll be able to claim is providing no one claims Carers allowance for looking after you. It's added to your ESA, if you're claiming the correct ESA of course.

    If it's New Style ESA then the disability premiums are not payable on this.
  • oakridge
    oakridge Member Posts: 9 Listener
    I believe it's the old style esa, as I've been on it a few years now.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 24,776 Disability Gamechanger
    Then you'll need to ring DWP/ESA to ask to fill in the IS10 form. Do be aware that waiting times are most likely increased now when ringing DWP.


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.