PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Advice needed about pip claim and being a carer

bramblerudgebramblerudge Member Posts: 1 Listener
edited June 2020 in PIP, DLA and AA
I am my partners carer,she suffers with mental health issues and needs lots of support with everyday life. I have to prompt encourage and reassure her.
i have a lot f health issues too. I am really struggling with bathing dressing and other day to day things. I have asthma COPD I take insulin as diabetic and have other health issues.
i have often thought about claiming PIP for myself, but as my partners carer I don’t know if this is possible? I also would have difficulties with a face to face, as can’t leave,or take my partner. My phone is very often not working due to my rural location. Any advice please? I am in desparate need of some help.
thanks so much x

Replies

• mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 5,987 Disability Gamechanger
    There is nothing which prevents you from being a carer or claiming PIP simultaneously. Of course being able to perform some actions as a carer night suggest you may not score some points on PIP but generally there is little overlap and you should not allow yourself to be put off. Just get advice from an advice service.

Thinking about an assessment at this stage is irrelevant. One step at a time. Order a claim pack and get some advice.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,192 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bramblerudge Welcome to the community, as already advised you can claim PIP along side carers, as suggested send off for an application pack. 

I would suggest you have a good look at the descriptors and see where you think you would be scored any points remembering it is about how you can manage tasks on a daily basis and not about a condition or diagnosis.

Face to face assessments are obviously at this time not taking place but some are being done over the phone but with reduced resources there is a longer waiting time.

If you need any further advice please just ask 
  • Chloe_ScopeChloe_Scope Scope Posts: 10,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bramblerudge and a warm welcome to the community. How are you doing? :)
    Community Partner
    Scope

Tell us what you think?
    Complete our feedback form to help us to improve your community.
Sign in or join us to comment.