Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
SDP/PIP, ESA Conts and UC
Hi there a relative currently gets PIP higher rate for both daily living and mobility. She has been given a 10 yr award. She also gets old style ESA Contribution based benefit and is in the support group. I'm pretty sure she gets the SDP to. So as she gets the SDP I've read that you can't claim UC until the block is removed in approx Jan 2021 so people aren't worse off. Her husband works and his gross is around £1800 a month. She claimed ESA C a few years ago and couldnt of claimed ESA income related then as her husbands earnings would of nilled the claim. She contacted housing benefit recently who said as they are a UC area she has to claim UC for housing help. But she can't due to getting the SDP. She can't claim new style ESA either for the same reason and also because she hasn't worked in the last 2-3yrs. Where does this leave her? She has to remain on her current ESA C benefit but if you claim ESA C can you get!housing benefit if you're not allowed to claim UC? She's exhausted all savings credit cards etc and has nowhere to turn to. Thanks
- 53K All Categories
- 10.4K Start here and say hello!
- 4.8K Coffee lounge
- 4K Disability rights and campaigning
- 1.5K Research and opportunities to get involved in
- 149 Community updates
- 12K Talk about your situation
- 1.8K Children, parents, and families
- 760 Work and employment
- 578 Education
- 1.1K Housing, transport, and independent living
- 1K Aids, adaptations, and equipment
- 277 Dating, sex, and relationships
- 264 Exercise and accessible facilities
- 21.2K Talk about money
- 2.1K Benefits and financial support
- 4.4K Employment and Support Allowance (ESA)
- 12.3K PIP, DLA, and AA
- 2.4K Universal Credit (UC)
- 4K Talk about your impairment
- 1.3K Cerebral palsy
- 676 Chronic pain and pain management
- 700 Rare, invisible, and undiagnosed conditions
- 751 Autism and neurodiversity
- 929 Mental health and wellbeing
- 298 Sensory impairments
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
Do you need advice on your energy costs?
Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.