What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

I've been told I need to wait for my PIP to come through before I can apply for ESA. What can I do?

mu1935mu1935 Member Posts: 1 Listener
I have recently give up carer because I have become ill myself, now my income support has stopped, I have applied for pip but haven't heard from them yet, I have a 15year-old daughter, who I get child tax for, but I have no income coming in for myself, I tried to apply for esa but they told me I had to wait for my pip to come before I could apply, what should I do, im really struggling


  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,149 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    PIp and esa are different benefits so it shouldn't be the case that you have to wait to apply 

    Have you tried using the benefits calculator to see what you could be claiming there is one on here 

    I will tag in another champion who is the best to advise you @poppy123456 can you help here 
  • Ross_ScopeRoss_Scope Posts: 4,114

    Scope community team

    Hi @mu1935 and welcome to the community.

    Glad you've joined us.

    Further to the comment above from @janer1967, here is Scope's benefit calculator which you may find useful.

    Hopefully it won't be long until you hear back about your PIP, how long has it been since you applied? Worth keeping in mind that they do have delays at the moment due to the pandemic, which won't be helping.

    Again, welcome to the community :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

    Talk to our chatbot and give us feedback on the community.
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome @mu1935

    The reason why your Income Support has stopped is because you're no longer receiving the carers allowance, which i assume is the reason why you were claiming Income Support.

    You can't apply for Income Related ESA because this no longer exists for new claims unless you're claiming a severe disability premium in another benefit, which you're not because you're not yet receiving a disability benefit.

    You can apply for Universal Credit but if you do this your tax credits will end and the child elements will be paid as part of Universal Credit. If you're claiming housing benefit then this will continue for a further 2 weeks and then transfer to Universal Credit. Use a benefits calculator to check entitlement to UC. https://www.entitledto.co.uk/benefits-calculator/Intro/Home?cid=d6dd73cc-d1d6-4000-af24-1e2a20ad41e7

    Do be aware than UC is a monthly benefit and first payment is 5 weeks after you first claim. You can ask for an advance payment but this will need to be repaid back from future payments.

    Fit/.sick notes will also be needed from your GP to be able to start the limited capability for work process off under UC.

    Proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice I have given to members here on the community.
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 5,001

    Scope community team

    Welcome to the community @mu1935 :) I'm sorry you've been unwell, and that you're struggling at the moment. 

    How are you doing today? Has the above advice helped? 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Sign in or join us to comment.