Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

where to go, how to find an advocate for a grievance meeting

clareaj Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2020 in Work and employment
Hi, I am attempting to help my brother Martin who was born with mild cerebral palsy and who has been off work with various health problems since January. The health problems are as a result of his job - heavy lifting, and his employer won't make reasonable adjustments to allow him to return to work in another capacity. Martin does not want to leave as he will be unable to receive any benefits if he does. He has worked for the company for 23 years. A solicitor has written to the employer on his behalf but the outcome has not been good. He has suggested we take this further but I know Martin would not be able to cope on his own at any future meeting with his employer without support, someone to speak up for him. I can attend I think, as his carer. Where would we be likely to find help? I imagine it is really difficult in these Covid-19 times.


  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 12,010 Disability Gamechanger
    CAB might be of help, but as you say difficult as things are atm, is he a member of a union, if so they would help. I'm not sure why you think he won't receive benefits if he has to leave work due to ill health, that probably isn't the case.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,143 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @ clareaj - ACAS may be able to help. Please see:
    Depending on where you live, VoiceAbility may be able to also advise on advocacy:
    Scope also has some info on Reasonable Adjustments at work. Please see:     Hope this may help.
  • Richard_Scope
    Richard_Scope Posts: 3,631 Scope online community team
    Hi @clareaj
    I'm sorry to read that Marton is still going through these difficulties with his employer.
    Scope has employment information that might be useful in our Work and Careers advice section.

    As @chiarieds has suggested I would make contact with ACAS and EASS (Equality Advisory and Support Service) 

    Why won't your brother be able to claim financial support?

    Cerebral Palsy Programme Lead

    'Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.'

    Want to tell us about your experience in the community? Talk to our


    and let us know.

  • clareaj
    clareaj Community member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi Richard,
    Thanks for your help. Today Martin has told me he wants to pull out of the process we have started with the help of a solicitor. His employer refuses to make any reasonable adjustments for Martin so he can return to work, and he tells me he cannot face being in the same room as his employer if it comes to a 'grievance meeting'. I did speak with an adviser from ACAS this morning and I was told there were alternatives to actual meetings. Martin's doctor suggests applying for PIP, which I will look into (when I am back in London) & he has a sick note until December which is helpful as it means he can still claim Universal Credit to cover rent. I don't know of any other financial support he can claim.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.