PIP, DLA and AA
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, my name is mykiddies3!

mykiddies3mykiddies3 Member Posts: 43 Connected
edited January 8 in PIP, DLA and AA
Hello! I have a query! I have applied for pip for my daughter who is 16! She’s been getting dla since she was 8 so this is the first time for a while doing forms etc! Anyway we put the forms in one the 31st of October and hadn’t heard anything until I received a phone call on the 22nd of December from a nurse from pip? She said that she didn’t need to do a telephone assessment and has done a paper based assessment as she had all she needed! But needed to ask a couple of questions! One question was does my daughter know how to read? Also Does my daughter know when she is hungry? And finally does my daughter know she is going to faint before she does? So does this mean the assessment has been done now? I was expecting a telephone assessment as this is what a previous letter had said would happen? 

Thankyou 
Tagged:

Replies

• mykiddies3mykiddies3 Member Posts: 43 Connected
    Sorry I’d like to add that my daughter has autism/sensory processing disorder and she has selective mutism! She also faints in situations where she is stressed/ and due to food related issues resulting in anaemia 

thanks
  • poppy123456poppy123456 Member Posts: 22,218 Disability Gamechanger
    HI and welcome,

Most people do have telephone assessments, which have replaced face to face assessments since Covid began. Paper based assessments are rare but it's still possible. If they have enough information to do a paper based assessment they will and it does sound like this is what they've done, although we can only guess.

Once a report has been written it's returned to DWP and then a decision maker will take a look at that as well as all the evidence (although they mostly go with the report) then make a decision based on the recommendations in the report.

If you live in the UK you can ring DWP to request a copy of the report to be sent to you. They will only send you a copy if they've received both copies back from the health assessment providers. When you receive it, you can compare the dots in the boxes against the PIP descriptors online to see what score, if any is recommended and then you'll be able to work out if there's an award recommended. As advised, they mostly go with the report, although you'll still need to wait for the decision to be made.

DWP/PIP open between 9am and 5pm Monday to Friday and i always find as soon as they open is the best time to ring. Actually i rang them on Monday morning and it took them just 3 minutes to answer the phone. Give them a ring tomorrow once they open and ask if the report has been returned.

If it hasn't then you can ring the health assessment providers to ask what's happening with her claim.

Her DLA will continue until a decision's been made on the PIP. If successfully awarded, there's no backdated money and the PIP payments will start about 7 weeks after the decision's been made.

Hope this helps. Good luck.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Ok Thankyou! I was surprised that she phoned tbh! I had no appointment arranged or anything? She just said that she was a nurse  and a pip assessor and understands everything on the form? She just needEd to clarify a couple of things? 
    I will try ringing in the morning! I hope it’s better than the 1hr and 20 mins I was on the phone just to make sure they’d received the form 🙄

Thankyou again 🤗
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 9,108 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi try ringing when they first open as its usually a bit easier to get 
    I have tried looking up about paper based assessments? But they mostly say this is when they have either not enough evidence to award a claim? Or they have enough to? Not sure if this is right? I’m a bit worried now tho! As I found the form quite hard to explain about my daughter? It’s easier to witness her behaviours if you know what I mean? So I did want to have a chance to explain a bit more on the phone! Not sure if that is making sense? Sorry 😬
  • woodbinewoodbine Member Posts: 3,715 Disability Gamechanger
    It can be either but as somebody actually phoned it sounds positive, as above tele in the morning getting a copy of the report will hopefully put your mind at rest.
    Good luck
    my advice is given freely and is correct to the best of my knowledge.
    Thankyou! I will do 😊 although the post situation where I live is a nightmare at the moment! we are receiving post every 3 weeks 😬 so it might take a while to receive it 🙄 
    I have tried looking up about paper based assessments? But they mostly say this is when they have either not enough evidence to award a claim?

I'm not sure exactly what you read. Paper based assessments are rare but they are definitely possible. My daughters last PIP review she had a paper based assessment. Sometimes they ring just to ask you a few quick questions to see if they can get the information needed, if they do then they'll complete the assessment report and send it to DWP.
    Community champion and proud winner of the 2019 empowering others award. This award was given for supporting disabled people and their families for the benefit advice i have given to members here on the community.
    Ok Thankyou all so much for your help! Much appreciated!
  • Tori_ScopeTori_Scope Posts: 4,010

Scope community team

Hello and welcome to the community @mykiddies3 :)

I'm glad you were able to get the advice you needed last night. Just to let you know, I've moved your post into our PIP category, and renamed it slightly so that other members will be able to find it more easily. 

Please feel free to stick around and get involved with any of our other recent discussions, and also be sure to update us when you hear back! 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Ok so sorry! Didn’t realise there was different categories? 

Thankyou for your help 😊

Scope community team

Hello everyone! I have requested a copy of the assessment! They lady seemed really nice! But she said she was working from home and would have to get her grandson to print it out and send it tomorrow as she doesn’t know how to print?? Anyone else had an answer like this? As I found it a little strange? 😬 I phoned yesterday so assuming she would of sent it today? Or even not till Monday now? 

Thankyou 

A lot of DWP call centre staff have been working from home since the start of lockdown number 1 so i'd say it's highly possible. Although saying she doesn't know how to print something off is a little odd.
    Yes I find that bit odd too? I assumed they would just click something on their laptop/computer and it would just generate a copy to send out through pips own posting system? I’m now wondering whether to ring them again on Monday to clarify? Don’t want them to think I’m just annoying them by ringing all the time though 🤣
    Also while I’m on here I was wondering if you had any experience or if anyone else has regarding fainting episodes! My daughter has these and they are basically down to her eating problems associated with autism (she’s vegetarian and only eats pasta cheese potatoes rice etc) the hospital are doing tests at the min like ecgs! To rule out other things! She doesn’t eat anything else and will not for the life of me try anything else! She’s had these episodes since she was 3 as that is when her eating habits got worse! When the assessor phoned she asked if she is incontinent? I said she is only when she faints? I’m not sure if fainting fits in with any of the descriptors for pip? Do you know if it does atall? Before I sent the form off I hadn’t even heard of these descriptors before 😫 but I’ve been reading a lot on here and heard so much about them now 

sorry for the long message 😬 

thanks 
    The PIP descriptors are here. I'm surprised you didn't look at those before filling out the form. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/personal-independence-payment-pip/pip-points-system

I think it will depend whether she has a warning of some kind before she faints so it will come down to a risk factor and part of safety.

Thankyou! I’m surprised I didn’t look either 🙄 tbh I’ve only ever dealt  with DLA forms! I just assumed that my daughter would have an assessment and that would be how they get to find out more about her?  I’ve put down a great deal on her forms and sent in a little evidence as I’d seen it’s best not to send in too much? But as I’ve said earlier on they have done a paper based assessment and just phoned to ask 2 or 3 questions to clarify
    hopefully I’ve Put enough information on the forms 

thanks again 
    I phoned again this morning as I was worried about the lady saying she would get her grandson to print out the report! Turns out they didn’t send it 🙄 so she said today she will send it out today! Hopefully they have done it this time 🤞

Scope community team

That's frustrating @mykiddies3. Fingers crossed! It's a good job you checked. 
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
    Hello! I’ve had the assessment report back today! That was actually very quick 🤗 Is anyone available to ask about the dots that are ticked and descriptors please? 

Thankyou 
    Hello! I’ve had the assessment report back today! That was actually very quick 🤗 Is anyone available to ask about the dots that are ticked and descriptors please? 

Thankyou 

Use the PIP self test online and you'll be able to transfer those dots into the test and it will add the recommended score up for you. https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/pip-test

Ok Thankyou poppy! Will get back to you soon 
    Hello again! By what I can see my daughter has scored 26 points for care! And 12 for mobility! The report is very accurate in what the assessor has written and I’m very pleased with this! Not really sure what happens now as it just says that it is a copy of the report? 

Thankyou Caron 
    It also says to review in 3 years? 
    That would be a recommendation of Enhanced for both parts. You will need to wait for the decision to made to know for certain but they usually go with the report. Sometimes they give a different award length of time.

The DLA will continue for a few weeks after the PIP decision is made and the first PIP payment is usually about 7 weeks after the decision is made.
    Ok thank you very much for your help! I was really worried as like I’d said before I hadn’t read the descriptors 🙄 
    Everything has come at once today! I’m currently doing my sons dla renewal which they said should be decided by the end of the week! But because there was a problem with post etc my carers allowance has stopped until it’s sorted again! Now I just received a letter today to say that my income support is stopping due to carers allowance stopping and I need to apply for universal credit as it’s a change in circumstances 🙄 But if my sons dla gets reinstated and I start to receive carers again
    would this then go back to normal with income support? Or do I need to still continue with universal credit claim? 😬 

thanks again 
    When did your sons DLA end? Did you ring Income Support today to tell them that you're waiting for the decision on the DLA? If your Income Support stops completely then you won't be able to reclaim it. If you claim UC then any tax credits you're claiming will also end.
    Not yet as I only received all the letters today 🙄 The post situation is a right pain at the minute but I will ring them Tomorrow! The letter says it will stop from the 3rd of March? So I’m hoping that it could all be sorted by then? 
    My sons dla ended on the 5th of January but dla have said to me on the phone that they are aware of post issues so are concentrating on getting the renewals done ASAP at the moment
    I'm surprised they didn't continue with the DLA payments because a decision hadn't been made by the time that award ended and if it were me i would have argued that it should have continued. With the current extreme circumstances delays are possible with decision making etc.

You could also change the carers allowance claim to your other son (the one that's just claimed PIP) if no one else is claiming carers allowance for looking after them. That way your Income Support will continue.
    Yea it was a nightmare due to post issues! Basically his award was extended for 6 months due to Covid! Then out of the blue I had a letter from carers in December to say my carers would stop because my sons dla was stopping in January! I phoned dla and they said a form had been sent and was due back by 5th January! Long story short I hadn’t received anything I’m the post and so trying to scramble together a form and evidence etc was a nightmare to get done in a few days 😳 Especially with the part about the school
    writing their bit as they were on Christmas holidays! I eventually got it done and posted off on the 6th which was a day late but couldn’t be helped! So it’s all been a bit stressful that on top of doing the pip claim for my daughter 😳 
    Hi poppy! 

I phoned DLA this morning and they have reinstated my sons DLA! That was really quick of them as they hadn’t received it until the 8th and made the decision on the 12th 
    They told me my carers claim ended on the 11th and so I’m not sure what I have to do now? But dla said that carers will have this on their computers so it should work itself out? I’ve tried phoning them but they are closed
    If the carers allowance has ended then you'll need to claim again and you can do this online. Otherwise, they are open between 10am and 2pm Monday to Friday. https://www.gov.uk/carers-allowance-unit

edited January 16
    Thanks @poppy123456
     I was just confused as to what to do because my sons dla hasn’t actually been stopped? It’s carried on there’s just been a delay in information back and forth

thanks again 
    So basically it’s stopped on the 30th December! Paid till jan 5th! Then new claim up and running on the 12th but carried on from the 30th if you know what I mean? 😬 
Sign in or join us to comment.