Hi, I'm Tori and I'm a research student! I'm exploring disabled people's concept of sexual consent — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, I'm Tori and I'm a research student! I'm exploring disabled people's concept of sexual consent

Options
Tori_N10
Tori_N10 Community member Posts: 6 Listener
edited January 2021 in Research and opportunities
I am fairly new to the disabled community, I had a seizure 2 years ago that left me with Daily Chronic Migraine Syndrome. I was diagnosed at the beginning of 2020 but didn't really feel part of the community until I started my master's degree in September.
I am studying criminology in London, loving it but finding it hard because of lockdown. I joined the disabled student's alliance at my uni and they suggested getting online and finding more people to chat too. 
I have now fully accepted my disability, it took a bit of work but I am here and loving all the helpful faces, so much so that my thesis is based on physical disabilities! I'm loving every minute of my research! 
Happy to answer questions if you want to know more  :) 

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,127 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Tori_N10 - I'm pleased to be the first to welcome you to this community, & thank you for joining. I can well imagine studying criminology is fascinating, but, as with all studies, definitely challenging just now. We also have a Tori who is a member of the Scope team, who I'm sure would be pleased to talk to you too.
    So now you've got me intrigued.....a thesis based on physical disabilities. Please do say more, thank you. I certainly look forward to learning more. :)
  • Tori_N10
    Options
    Hi @chiarieds my research this year stemmed from my research surrounding understanding sexual consent with young people last year, this found some really interesting points about education and I was able to advocate for policy change. 

My aim with this thesis is to explore people who are physically disabled understanding of sexual consent. There is little to no research surrounding people with physical disabilities and our experience of sexuality and sexual consent. I aim to shed light on our experiences through this piece of research, to ensure all our needs are made visible.
    This is an ongoing project and I'm always looking for people to get involved let me know if you would like to! :) 

• chiarieds
    Options
    Thank you for kindly replying @Tori_N10 - so are you going to limit this just to people with physical disabilities? I ask because, before joining this forum, I didn't realise many with physical disabilities also had mental health issues, so sometimes difficult to disentangle the two I would have thought.....unless any with mental health issues would be excluded. I would also have thought if you are looking 'just' at disability, that some with mental health issues may have even less understanding of sexual consent. Perhaps you don't want your research to be inclusive however!
    I will be interested in your research of course, as the more we know the better disabled people will be helped. :)
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome @Tori_N10 from me too 

I have just finished a diploma in criminology and criminal psychology and was thinking of doing a higher level 
    But I can only do this online so looking around at options as I cant go out alone 

Think a masters would be too much if commitment for me but hoping to find something to suit 

• Tori_N10
    edited January 2021
    Options
    Hi, @chiarieds I know that it can be hard to untangle physical and mental disabilities but due to the type of data collection I have chosen, the participants have a chance to talk to me about any parts of their identity be that physical or mental. Meaning no one will be excluded, so long as a potential participant identifies with a physical disability then they are welcome to join the study no matter what.  
    Take me, for example, my disability is neurological I identify with a physically disabled label but I also suffer from mental health disorders. 

I chose to focus on the physically disabled label first as there is a lot of research surrounding mental disabilities and sexual consent and very little for physical disabilities. I want to widen the field of knowledge. 

More information and the interest survey can be found here, https://www.surveymonkey.co.uk/r/597V6KF :) 

• Tori_N10
    Options
    Hi, @janer1967 honestly go for it! The Open University has some amazing courses!
  • chiarieds
    Options
    Hi @Tori_N10 - I see what you're saying now. It all looks completely fine, but if you don't mind, I'll ask one of the Scope team to have a look. Once they check in with you, it will likely be moved over into the 'Events, research & opportunities' section of the forum. It's the only section where you can show your email address. Please would you check this @Tori_Scope thank you.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello and welcome to the community @Tori_N10 :) Excellent name.

Thanks for the tag @chiarieds. Yes, if you'd be able to send an email to community@scope.org.uk so that we can check a couple of things that'd be great! I've temporarily removed the link you've posted, but will add it back in once we've verified the research is right for the community. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

Events, research and opportunities disclaimer

The Events, research and opportunities board is the only board that permits the publishing of posts with an email, contact number or survey link.

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and the Community Guidelines.

Online Community Co-ordinator
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @janer1967 you could do a degree with ba honours 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Disclaimer

Our website contains links to third parties’ websites for your information only.

We have no control over the content of those sites or resources and we don’t endorse or accept liability for the content of them.

Read the full Terms and Conditions and our Community House Rules.