I'm on income based ESA. I think my PIP renew call went badly. Is there anything else I can claim?

kes2611 Community member Posts: 124 Contributor
edited March 2021 in Benefits and income
I am on income based ESA n in support group.Award is ongoing,was on pip n just had renew telephone assesment but think it will b stopped as report was rubbish even though there no chsnge since last pip. I have got even worse. Is there anythin else i can claim as my money has gone down loads.


  • MobileGames
    MobileGames Community member Posts: 168 Empowering
    @kes2611. Have you received the report? If you have,I'd put in for a mandatory reconsideration straight away and ask for help on it,going through each descriptor and putting down why you disagree with what was put to do with that descriptor. Try to explain why you disagree with it,why you can't repeatedly,reliably or safely carry out that descriptor. Stick to the facts and try not to stray off the points you need to raise. When I received mine back in January 2019 it contradicted itself and felt really angry at the assessor but I kept that out of it because it's about the descriptors and nothing else. My mandatory reconsideration didn't go well,then I turned to here for advice and support and it helped. That doesn't mean that yours won't go well. Try to Include as much evidence as you can,doctors letter,scans,xrays,reports. Ringing up scope may help. They have real life experience in these matters and may be able to talk you through how to approach this if you need a mandatory reconsideration. I had to go to appeal,but being on here helped to prepare for it and a CAB 20 miles or so away helped with a letter of representation,that and a detailed doctors letter,references in the appeal letter that was sent,helped me to win it. I'm not sure what else you could claim. It depends on your health conditions. Scope may be able to sign post to a few organisations. If you're renting where you live,ask if you can set up some sort of payment plan for your rent if you're struggling,or go to step change. They help with payment plans too. Quite a few people have used step change and find them to be very helpful. I'm sorry I can't be of more help. I know how stressful it is when one of your benefits gets stopped. Hang in there. We're here for you,even if it's just for emotional support. 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,922 Championing
    Maybe with you using a benefits calculator to try find out what you can claim but remember PIP is different award to benefits 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,443 Championing
    Hi @kes2611 :) Here's a link to a benefits calculator, which Janer1967 mentioned. 

    MobileGames mentioned perhaps ringing Scope. You can ring our friendly helpline on 0808 800 3333 if you'd like to talk things through over the phone. 

    I know you're worried about the outcome of your PIP call, but you'll just have to wait to see what happens. If you end up needing expert guidance moving forwards, then you can find organisations near you on advicelocal.uk.