Coffee lounge
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Back in my childhood days..

woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,522 Disability Gamechanger
So what do you remember from your childhood days that todays kids wouldn't have a clue what you were talking about?

1)Our first home phone was on a party line (i.e a lone shared with a neighbour, if they were using it you couldn't)

2)TV's with only 3 channels and no remote control

3) The national anthem played at the end of the film in cinemas.

Over to you..
"Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)

Replies

• vikingqueenvikingqueen Member Posts: 467 Pioneering
           Black and white telly
           No inside toilet
           No central heating, only coal fires 
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    Having to go to phone box to use phone 

Internet cutting off if you used house phone 

Playing out on street 

Putting on concerts in the back garden 
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,522 Disability Gamechanger
    In 1981 when we got married we had a B&W telly as we couldn't afford a colour licence  :'(
  • leeCalleeCal Member Posts: 3,705 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 16
    You needed a licence for your dog but not a cat (suppose cats don’t need a cat catcher)
    jamboree bags were thruppence
    my parents had a habit of calling 25 to or past the hour five and twenty to, or five and twenty past.
    the flying Scotsman was the fastest train in Britain anyway. 
    You could get three pennies per empty bottle of pop returned to the pop man, who came around in a huge lorry full of various flavours of pop!
    my mum still used a mangle to squeeze water from the washing when I was three or four and shed often give me a piece of raw potato to chew when getting dinner ready. 
    Wow, memories.

actually even when I was fifteen you could still buy a single no6 cigarette from the newsagent for a sixpence.
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,522 Disability Gamechanger
    @leeCal glad someones as old as me  B)
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 4,059

Scope community team

edited March 16
    I'm thinking and:
    • Having cassette tapes and recording the top 40 off radio 1 on a Sunday night - this was a fine art that took some mastering as to press stop just before the DJ started talking again  :D
    • Having dial-up internet that was sooo painfully slow and my mum shouting upstairs to get off the line so she could ring someone up, ha!
    • Spira chocolate bars which I wish would make a come back! 
    Online Community Co-ordinator

Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • CressidaCressida Member Posts: 839 Pioneering
    edited March 16
    • Dogs roaming the streets! 
    • Queing to dial a disk from the local phone box which smelled of cigarette smoke
    • The butcher and baker vans who delivered to the house, the butcher used to give the kids half a cooked **** :o 
    • Having Lucozade or hot Ribena when you were ill
    • Chasing the fire engine down the street to see which neighbour's chimney was on fire
    • Fat white slugs (they seem to have disappeared)
    • Walking in the fields and sucking the nectar from pink clover leaves
    • Ice on the inside of my bedroom window
    • Being tucked in really tightly with wynciette sheets and blankets
    • The girl on the tv test card
    • The smell of the mangle and the spin dryer jumping all around the kitchen 

edited March 16
    Reminds me of mum she was a great fan of Brentford Nylons and we had bright orange bed sheets when you got in bed you got a massive static shock!
    Had ice inside bedroom windows for all of the 1960's as we didn't get central heating till the 1970's.

I still love lucozade today, but only the original not the flavours they do now.
    As well as the coalman we had "corona" pop who delivered weekly, as well as a chap who came round Sunday morning selling fruit and veg off a massive van.
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,201 Disability Gamechanger
    The man who came in pubs selling cockles and mussels 

Buying sweets from the jar asking for quarter of something and they put them in paper bag 

Buying records at  Woolworths 

Having a bath on Sunday and taking it in turns to go in using same water 
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,637 Disability Gamechanger
    White dog excrement.
    White dog excrement.
    I was going to write that! Apparently we feed them better diets nowadays.
  • Sandy_123Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,541 Pioneering
    Not hearing a metal bin lid clanging on the floor at night out side, 
    Drawing flames on an open fire with news paper. Having a house phone with a lock on and having to ask to use the phone, with every one listening and timing. 
    Having to type endless codes in a computer (think it was a comador 64) to play a game, blitz was highlight, 
    Not having anything in bedroom except bed and wardrobe, no tv's, PlayStations.
    Moving tv  Ariel every where to get a picture, and having to turn the 3 channels over no remotes.
    Cb radio, and talking over next doors tv when using it.
    Listening to police radio on am frequency.

• GeoarkGeoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,375 Disability Gamechanger
    Saturday morning cinema, no computers in school, buying pop from a delivery pan, Saturday morning jobs and newspaper rounds. Going to the laundry with the family washing. School cross country runs in winter followed by a cold/luke warm shower. Nit nurse. Chemical baths for fleas. Playing out all day, but had to be home in time for tea. Going back to a neighbour I had been rude towards because I knew if they spoke to my parents I would get a good belting. Listening to plays on the radio. Libraries with books in them. Learning to read with ladybird books. Finally getting an action man figurine for Christmas to find no action man and a label my father had put on the box with the word 'deserter'. Mechano sets.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• GeoarkGeoark Member, Scope Volunteer Posts: 1,375 Disability Gamechanger
    Oh, and shops where you could take electrical items to be fixed. Rag and bone men with horse and cart.

As an individual I stood alone.
    As a member of a group I did things.
    As part of a community I helped to create change!

• OverlyAnxiousOverlyAnxious Member Posts: 1,443 Disability Gamechanger
    edited March 17
    "Belly's gonna get ya"

The quality of the PS1 Harry Potter graphics...  :#

The enormous cheat codes on GTA San Andreas... 'Circle, square, circle, circle, triangle, up, down, left, left, circle, tri...  :D
    Shops only open 9-5.30 and half day closing and no sunday shopping, and yet we didn't starve.
    Cig machines outside shops so anybody could buy them.
    Robertson's jams where you collected the label for a "golly"
    Greenshield stamps.
    Co-op divi. (yes I really am that old)
    Renting your telly from radio-rentals/DER/Granada etc.
    Getting just a few presents for xmas not half of Hamleys.
    Being respectful to adults.

By the late 90's all cheques were crossed and only any good to the "payee"
    • Candlewick bedspreads
    • Clackers
    • Outdoor unheated swimming pools
    • Budgies
    • Larders with mesh windows
    • French skipping
    • Loon trousers
    • Salt & shake crisps
    • Knowing all your neighbours
    • Scrumping apples  :#

• 66Mustang66Mustang Community Co-Production Group Posts: 5,100 Disability Gamechanger
    I’m only in my 20s but a few from me that maybe some my age can relate to

- Dial up internet or even NO INTERNET  :open_mouth:

- Rewinding videos using a screw driver

- Automatic pencil sharpeners at school that you’d put pencils in and sharpen until they disappeared

- Being fed on airline flights

- Phones that only made phone calls and if they were fancy sent text messages

- following from above, cameras that were standalone devices

- the smell of petrol

I remember passing the qualification to be allowed to use a pen as well :smiley:
    What about those shrink to fit Levi’s! I remember sitting in a hot bath, as instructed, waiting for the jeans to shrink to fit me, ouch! What nonsense 🤣
    @leeCal does sound painful  :)
  • Sandy_123Sandy_123 Member Posts: 1,541 Pioneering
    edited March 21
    edited March 21
    @Sandy_123 Was that Sid something to do with the gas board? I only vaguely remember it.

one thing I did remember was balsa wood aeroplanes. You covered them in tissue paper and wound up a propellor attached to a rubber band and whoosh...two weeks work wasted and a broken aeroplane! Haha.
  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,207 Disability Gamechanger
    Did anyone have plastic, I think we called them dive bombers? You threw them up into the air, then they landed with a 'bang' on the ground as you'd placed a pellet in it's nose. I also had a 'Man From U.N.C.L.E.' gun.....you might guess i was quite a tomboy. :)
    I remember them lee and airfix models 
    @chiarieds I had a thunderbirds 2 probably be worth a few bob now
    @chiarieds Those dive bomb things were pretty good loaded with a gunpowder cap! Quite a fad for a while, as were those dense rubber balls which bounced extraordinarily high.

Also circular helicopter blades which flew off after pulling a plastic strap. Or was that a different era? 
    edited March 21
    airfix models were great @woodbine, I had quite a few thinking back and the soldiers too. 
  • lisathomas50lisathomas50 Posts: 4,363 Disability Gamechanger
    I liked my doll I had you could make her hair long or short you pulled her hair out the top of her head to make it long and pressed a button to make the hair go back back in she was called sheena
  • EllestarEllestar Member Posts: 19 Connected
    May I say, discipline, manners and respect. Some children do, but some don't.
    Yay I just remembered  i used to play Jack's my grandad taught me how to play that and clackers I used to bruise my wrists lol and conkers gosh those were the days 😅
  • deb74deb74 Member Posts: 766 Pioneering
    @Ellestar is right about manners. I was brought up being told manners cost nothing! reading @woodbines list is unbelieveable I am way too young to remember any of those things. I don't even remember a telly only having 3 channels. Reading some other people's memories has made me remember a few things from my past. Like @66Mustang says I remember the pencil sharpeners. He has remined me about being allowed to use a pen at school. I was taught to use a cartridge pen when I was about 10 yrs old. I kept my first cartridge pen for years. A lot of things from my chodhood have come back now!
    vinyl records
    cabbage patch dolls
    my little pony
    Lots more things a well. All I can say is thank goodness the shell suit has not come back. I can't believe I used to wear one of those things when I was a kid!
  • VictorVictor Member Posts: 158 Courageous
    edited March 24
    Having to wait months for big movies to cross the Atlantic.  (Jaws opened in the US in summer - it didn't come out  in the UK until December.) And then of course E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial just about single-handedly launching the video pirate industry thanks to the UK distributors holding off its UK release until December....
  • daz2daz2 Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 28 Courageous
    edited March 25
    Milkman delivering milk and milkshake maker that looked like a plastic cocktail shaker to your door. Action man jeep. My parents found this while rumminging through an old box in the loft a few months ago. Not seen it since about 
    1980. Not sure you can get these anymore.

Milk in bottles was a great example of recycling now its mostly in plastic, although it's cheaper than it was 25 years ago
    I still have a milk man where I live I love it 😀 I have milk three days a week 
    edited March 25
    I purposely engaged a milkman some years ago because I wanted to help him to remain employed. He delivered milk about three times and then it stopped and I never saw him again. I was younger and busier in those days so I didn’t bother finding out what happened . We didn’t even get a bill. Mysterious. Perhaps the blue tits got him!

(when I was a child blue tits used to open up the bottle tops and steal the cream on top, a very common occurrence.)
    @leeCal I have had my milkman for 3years I love it 
  • Ayoung1979Ayoung1979 Member Posts: 44 Courageous
    Having cassette tapes
    computers were just starting to come out
    We didn't have gaming counsels and be inside for hours
  • Caz_AlumniCaz_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 626 Pioneering

On the subject of milkmen, my Dad was the milkman ;);)

And I'm not joking - my Dad was, in fact, a milkman for many years!

@Caz_Scope
    Online Community Coordinator (she/her)

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • mikehughescqmikehughescq Member Posts: 6,637 Disability Gamechanger
    Recently read the wonderful Broken Greek by Pete Paphides. Anyone remember Dial A Disc?
  • kev1kev1 Member Posts: 165 Courageous
    I remember a small shop near my primary school where many flavours of sherbert was sold. You could buy it in amounts from 1d upwards. It was put into a small white bag. You could also buy a glass of Tizer or Cream soda.
    Caz_Scope said:

On the subject of milkmen, my Dad was the milkman ;);)

And I'm not joking - my Dad was, in fact, a milkman for many years!

@Caz_Scope
    My brother was a milkman for a good few years.
    I remember dial a disc and actually queing outside the red phonebox to use it. We also used to dial the speaking clock   ;)

Who remembers the sugar shortages and ladybird invasions in 1976 when we had the heatwave. 

During the 1960s in what was then called 'Junior school' we led on rush matting after dinner. I can remember how prickly they were just thinking about it 
  • kev1kev1 Member Posts: 165 Courageous
    I certainly do remember the sugar shortage and that very hot summer that I carried my first child through.
    The speaking clock dialled TIM which became 123, my mums mum (gran) had a massive cupboard at the side of the fireplace full of tea and sugar and would always give me a bag of each to take home, no wonder it was in short supply half of it was at my grans  :)
Sign in or join us to comment.