Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Am I meant to be claiming disability premiums? How? Would being on higher rate PIP change this?

Options
missybpink
missybpink Community member Posts: 28 Connected
Hi I get Esa contribution based and Pip lower for both elements I have seen these but am confused how they work am I meant to be claiming this, I am also having a Pip assessment tomorrow as my disability has gotten worse if I get moved onto higher does that alter the answer for my current circumstances.
  • disability premium
  • enhanced disability premium
  • severe disability premium 

Comments

• MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    Options
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited May 2021
    Options
    Is your ESA the old ESA or is it new style ESA?
    If new style ESA you cannot get these premiums.
    If it is the old form of ESA this can include the premiums if you have an income based entitlement - whether or not this is possible would depend on why you are currently restricted to contribution based ESA. If it is due to savings over £16,000 then income based ESA is not possible, If it is due to other income then it might be possible that you have some income based entitlement if the premiums are applied.
    An increase to your PIP award would not change any of the above.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • missybpink
    missybpink Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    Hi its old style but my husband works so they put me on contribution based.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi its old style but my husband works so they put me on contribution based.
    If you live with your husband you are not entitled to a Severe Disability Premium unless he also gets a disability benefit.
    Your ESA will be calculated by first working out your income based entitlement which will include the enhanced disability premium (the disability premium does not apply to ESA). There will then be a deduction for your husband's earnings and any other relevant income/savings. If the income based ESA entitlement remaining is less than your contribution based entitlement you just get paid the contribution based amount (as in your case).
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.