Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

What happens during PIP review phone call?

Options
kojak7
kojak7 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
edited June 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi there could anyone give me information on what they ask you on the telephone interview 
about PIP

Comments

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,142 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @kojak7 - they will go through much of what you wrote in your initial PIP claim form, so it's an idea to look through that again, asking questions to determine how your disability impacts on your everyday life as regards certain activities/descriptors. Please see: https://www.cambridgeshire.gov.uk/asset-library/Personal-Independence-Payment-Descriptors-and-Scores-April-2021.pdf
    If you hadn't given a couple of recent, detailed answers in your claim form, try to do so now, e.g. when did it happen, why, what exactly happened, did anyone witness it, & were there any consequences after attempting/doing each applicable descriptor?
    Also if you can't do an activity 'reliably' it's important to say so. This means can you do it safely, to an acceptable standard, as often as you'd like, & does it take you longer than someone without your disability?
    You might be asked what may appear random questions, such as do you drive, do you have a pet, have you been on holiday? However these can cover several activities, so don't let them throw you, just answer honestly.
    Hopefully this helps a little, & good luck. :)

• kojak7
    kojak7 Community member Posts: 11 Connected
    Options
    Thanks for getting back to me 
    it’s my brother who’s form it was
    I filled it in for him he changed from DLA to PIP but the form was different so not as much room to write as many things as possible on it what’s up with him 
    he suffers from mental illness 
    border line personality disorder 
    Depression and psychosis 
    he isn’t well at the minute and Is anxious as to what question they will ask 
    to be honest I don’t think he’s fit to take the call 
    he’s been on DLA for 22 years and PIP for 2 years 
    so a I just wrote nothing has changed 
    his psychiatrist said his condition will not improve he just needs to learn to live with it 
    but it’s hard when he thinks there’s a magic pill out there that will make him like he was before 
    he can’t understand it all 

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,142 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You're welcome.
    Would you be able to be with your brother when he has his phone assessment? You can have somebody with you for support, just let the assessor know. If you put the phone onto speakerphone if he gets a bit stuck with a question, then you could speak.
    It sounds like a review form you completed. Unfortunately, rather than just putting 'no change' you should have given as much detail as with his first PIP claim. I appreciate there's not much space on the review forms, so for future reference you can just continue a question onto some A4 paper & attach at the back (with name & National Insurance Number on each page).
    Just in case you are able to be with your brother for his assessment, have a look at the following link about completing PIP forms with mental health problems. This may give you some idea of things your brother finds difficult, & why, where he needs help, etc. Please see: https://www.mentalhealthandmoneyadvice.org/en/welfare-benefits/pip-mental-health-guide/help-with-your-pip-claim/how-to-fill-in-the-pip-form/
    My best wishes to you both. :)
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    kojak7 said:
    ...not as much room to write as many things as possible on it 
    You can attach extra pages, there is no need to be restricted by the form itself.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.