What benefits am I entitled to?
If this is your first visit, check out the community guide. You will have to Join us or Sign in before you can post.

Hi, my name is biglad78! I'm moving to a granny flat adjoining my parents - will I keep my SDP?

biglad78biglad78 Member Posts: 3 Listener
I'm on ESA income related an was demoted to just get the living component of PIP! But by the by! I was living in a bungalow and received housing benefit and qualified  for SDP! Basically I got kidnapped and reported it to the police? Now I fear for my own safety and people abuse me in the street for being a "grass" unless that's the new word for victim! But I don't think so! For my own well being and safety I'm going to move in to an adjoining  "granny flat" to my parents bungalow! ( But I won't be physically  living in their dwelling) I will be paying my own utility bills and cook for my self etc! Will I be able to keep my SDP? Thanks for any help you can provide me!


  • biglad78biglad78 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Btw! I won't be claiming housing benefit but will personally be paying my folks a token amount! As they are both pensioners and my dad is severely disabled him self!
  • janer1967janer1967 Member Posts: 11,008 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome 

    I'm not too sure to get sdp you need to live alone unless the people you live with also get disability benefits 

    I don't know if living in granny flat will ckszz as living alone 

    Hope other members can help 

  • chiariedschiarieds Community Co-Production Group Posts: 9,048 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @biglad78 - & welcome to the community. I'm sorry to read what you've been through, & hope it's not too long before you can move to be with your parents. I'm sorry I don't know the answer to your query either, & hope someone else can answer,
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,927

    Scope community team

    Hello @biglad78 and a warm welcome to the community.  

    I'm sorry to hear you've been through such an ordeal and wanted to check that you are in a safe place now, and have adequate support from the police?  If ever you feel you may be in danger, please contact 999 and ask for the relevant emergency services immediately.

    SDP isn't an area I have particular expertise in, however I've moved your thread to our 'What benefits am I entitled to?' category and have tweaked the title to alert others to your query.  I'll also do further research in the mean-time to ascertain more about your SDP entitlement once you've moved.

    Best wishes and take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
  • biglad78biglad78 Member Posts: 3 Listener
    Thanks for your kind messages! It means a lot! It's self contained and it's address 18a rather than 18 which is my folks's place! If that helps!
  • calcotticalcotti Member Posts: 2,125 Pioneering
    I think you will be OK with SDP.
    Will you be paying separate Council Tax?
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • woodbinewoodbine Community Co-Production Group Posts: 4,388 Disability Gamechanger
    It's a difficult question one which I suspect only the DWP could give you a definitive answer to.
    Sorry you've been through so much agro.
    "Putting a child into care, isn't caring for a child" (T.Rhattigan)
  • Cher_ScopeCher_Scope Posts: 3,927

    Scope community team

    @biglad78 I've sent you an email to discuss more support we at Scope might be able to offer.  If you'd like to give it a read and get back to me, that would be fab.

    Take care.
    Online Community Co-ordinator

    Want to tell us about your experience on the online community?  Talk to our chatbot and let us know.
Sign in or join us to comment.