If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I had ACDF surgery 6 months ago. Am I entitled to a consultation to get help with daily tasks?

bobt10 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
i underwent ACDF spinal surgery 6 months ago ive had one face to face and one over the phone consultation with my surgeon after the surgery its left me unable to walk without aides  its also left me with severve muscle spasms and body tremors shaking all the time unable to do everday tasks i need help washing n dressing etc am i entitled to ask for a consultation with them as my GP dont know what they can do to help any more been on tablets not worked my GP has also emailed my comsultant asking for advice several times but had  no reply what else can i do as now i have to go for mental health counselling due to this 


  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @bobt10

    Thanks for posting, sorry to hear about what you're going through, it sounds like it must be very uncomfortable.

    Have you asked to be referred to a new consultant if the one you have at the minute isn't being very helpful?

    Do you have help around the house from a friend or loved one to do things like daily tasks?
    Online Community Coordinator

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • bobt10
    bobt10 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    not yet asked to be referred to another consultant will be doing in the week 
    its totally changed my life from working in construction for 30years to not being able to hold a drink properly or pick anything up from the floor 
    i live with my parents they cant do enough for me but i feel sorry for them as they both retired n should be emjoyin hols when can not having to wash n dress me 
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi there 

    Sorry to hear what you are going through 

    As for the care aspect I would suggest you refer yourself for a care needs assessment on the gov website 

    Ot will cine and di an assessment and suggest any aids adaptions or care needs you may find helpful 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,505 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi @bobt10 :) I'm also sorry to hear how much pain you've been in. Please do let us know with how you get on asking for a referral for a new consultant. 

    As Janer1967 has said, getting a needs assessment done could be a good start. You can use this gov.uk page to find your local authority's social care department, and apply through there. Perhaps you could give that a go and let us know how you get on? 

    Just to let you know, I tweaked the title of your post slightly so that it's a little clearer what you're asking about. 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

    Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • bobt10
    bobt10 Community member Posts: 26 Listener
    thx for all your kind replys ive been onto my local council Adult Care and had a few ajustments made by them still waiting for one still to be done could be months b4 it happens 
    im trying to get through to the hospital no reply yet lol 
    Tori thx for tweaking my post to make it look better
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.