Hi, my name is Baby65! Discussion on adult social care — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Hi, my name is Baby65! Discussion on adult social care

Baby65 Member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2021 in Benefits and financial support
Hello everyone. I would like to pick the brains of all of you, especially the older folks on the subject of adult  social care. This is something I may have to face in the future as my beloved husband is also my carer. I would be interested in hearing of people's experiences of negotiating this minefield especially the financial side of things. How do you manage to find the dosh for bills and cope with having to contribute towards care costs and how much do they charge you on average and is there anything you can claim to help. The prospect of reaching a time in my life where I may lose my precious hubby and have to run the gauntlet of the social care system, live a paupers existence and manage life blind as I am is driving me to mental illness and misery


  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,407 Disability Gamechanger
    Hi and welcome to the community 

    I would suggest using a benefits calculator to see what you could be entitled to 

    Or welfare rights for advice 

    As for social care your council should have a sensory care team who will work with you and assess your needs 

    You can also self refer for a care needs assessment on gov website they will send a ot to assess your needs and make recommendations and referral for care

    Do you currently claim pip or any other benefits 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Member, Community Co-Production Group Posts: 12,478 Disability Gamechanger
    Hello @Baby65 - & welcome to the community. Thank you too for joining & telling us all a little about yourself. :)
    This isn't something I know a great deal about, but Scope have a section on adult social care which may be useful. Please see: https://www.scope.org.uk/advice-and-support/adult-social-care/     Hopefully other members may be able to say about their experiences.
    On the financial side, I don't know if you are currently receiving any benefits. You might want to try the following link to see if you may get help with this. Please see: https://www.turn2us.org.uk/     & use their benefits calculator.
    Please try not to worry so.....this is a very supportive community, who will do all they can to help & advise, & do ask any questions about anything. My best wishes, & hope to talk to you again. :)
  • Baby65
    Baby65 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hello chaired. Thank you for your advice yesterday. I know the basics about the social care system as I have read a .title on the net I am on pip and am wondering if they take care fees out of this or there is something else you can claim to help. I will have a look at the links you suggested but I am finding it very difficult to find anything concrete out and that is what's worrying me. I am scared stiff that not only would I not be able to cope alone both mentally and physically but I would also be destitut because of health costs. Any thoughts on how I can get past this. It really is driving me nuts.
  • Baby65
    Baby65 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hello janer1965 and thanks for the advice yesterday. Yes I am on pip at the moment plus esa and reduced earnings. I am trying to ascertain whether care costs are taken out of pip or whether you can claim something else to help. I feel like I am going mad with worry and am facing a future of not being able to cope either mentally or physically if I was alone and sinking into poverty through health costs. Any thoughts on how I can get past this before I go loopy.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,407 Disability Gamechanger
    Care costs are not taken out of pip but pip is awarded to help with additional costs for care

    The reason for a care needs assessment is to see the level of care required and how this would be funded 

    They do some sort of financial review to calculate what you have to contribute to your care 

    I don't know much about it but as above it depends on your circumstances at the time 

    First action is to get the referral done 
  • Baby65
    Baby65 Member Posts: 5 Listener
    Hi janer1965. Thanks duck. What I am trying to get to nub of is where my local council would expect me to find the contribution to my care from. The whole thing seems like a minefield with no logic at all. I would come under the savings threshold and do not think I would cope with managing direct payment myself with being blind. Do you know if there is any benefits you can claim to help you with extra costs or do they expect you to bleed what bit of savings you might have paying the extra costs. I have visions of not being able to afford to live and being crippled by the cost of my care. I would also like to know if there are people who can help you to do a budget of your finances so that you can manage everything. I would need help sorting it all out
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,407 Disability Gamechanger
    That is what the assessment will help with and the sensory team 

    I am also nearly blind they have been amazing 

    Stop worrying until you have seen the right people who are there to help 

    As for benefits for care no there isn't any in particular but again contact welfare rights to get a full benefit check 

    We can only guess what you may be entitled to we don't know your circumstances 
    Not everyone has to contribute to care cost it all depends on level of care needs and finances 

    I think you are worrying too much without getting in touch with the people that can help 

    I know it's hard not to worry but there is help out there and I have told you where to get it 

    I am also in a wheelchair as well as visually impaired and live alone with a young child 
    You can get help through this 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Posts: 9,644 Scope online community team
    Hi @Baby65 :) Welcome to the community! Just to add to the above advice, I believe that Age UK can sometimes help with these types of queries too. You can find the details for their Advice Line here.
    Online Community Coordinator, she/her

    Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

    Want to tell us how we're doing? Complete our feedback form now.
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 16,407 Disability Gamechanger
    Also rnib could help 


Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.