Christmas shopping — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Christmas shopping

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,720 Disability Gamechanger
edited September 2021 in Coffee lounge
As the minutes tick down to the first of September and dare I say it Christmas only around 16 weeks away, has anybody started Christmas shopping yet?  

If i'm honest pre-pandemic by now we would have probably done half our Christmas shop by now, but the kids (well i say kids they are 33 and 37) and the grandkids will once again be getting money and we have culled most of the rest of the gift list and stopped buying for them.

The one thing we do have is enough are Christmas cards for about three years (and we send around 50 a year), as we buy them after Christmas for half price and if you know just how little they cost to print you'd agree that half price was still over-priced.

The one thing we did a few years ago was to ask people not to buy of presents but to make a donation to a homeless charity.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Tagged:

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not started yet, but I best get thinking about it because it'll be upon us before we know it.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,874 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    started a couple of months ago, my kids are grown so they get money now, but we buy for my grandson, love the season, its magic
  • MarkM88
    MarkM88 Community member Posts: 3,127 Connected
    edited September 2021
    Options
    I save throughout the year for additional expenses, so that’s all in place and therefore I’m budgeted well. I’ve ordered Christmas cards, wrap, etc. That’s due today actually. I like to buy presents as it gets me in the mood and I really enjoy Christmas but I hate the wrapping up bit. I do that as I go along so I don’t have it all in one go to do. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,811 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I haven’t started yet, still got 3 very close family birthdays (including mine) in the way before we get to Christmas!
  • abbyk41
    abbyk41 Community member Posts: 96 Connected
    Options
    Christ no it's September don't think about Christmas to November December 
  • MarkM88
    Options
    A lot of people like to plan ahead though, be prepared, you often find better deals throughout the year too or before Christmas. 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,526 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've got 1 so far, but keeping an eye on deals
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I really like Christmas too and the longer the season the better, so now is a great time to start thinking about it. Doing something about it is another matter and I’ll start buying presents and cards next month I think.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Ami2301
    Ami2301 Community member Posts: 7,942 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm usually well under way for preparing for Christmas by now, but I've not even started! We have 9 nieces and nephews to buy for, and 4 of them have birthdays in December. Plus, we have Daisy's 1st birthday and Christmas aswell. I do miss wrapping presents (due to poor grip) but I don't when they all pile up :lol:
    Disability Gamechanger - 2019
  • Roddy123
    Roddy123 Community member Posts: 41 Courageous
    Options
    we stopped present buying years ago,in fact Christmas has little appeal to me now,i used to like it but now its all about greed and betterment, and the reason for Christmas is forgotten about.
    We do send lots of cards though,a card has more meaning than a present.
    We live well all year round so Christmas food is of little interest,oh my goodness i do sound a grump ,but i'm really not.
  • woodbine
    Options
    Roddy123 said:
    we stopped present buying years ago,in fact Christmas has little appeal to me now,i used to like it but now its all about greed and betterment, and the reason for Christmas is forgotten about.
    We do send lots of cards though,a card has more meaning than a present.
    We live well all year round so Christmas food is of little interest,oh my goodness i do sound a grump ,but i'm really not.
    Oh yes you are...oh no i'm not..oh yes you are...oh no i'm not   :):):)

• Leigh14
    Leigh14 Community member Posts: 575 Pioneering
    Options
    Not even thought about it yet. I normally start getting things in from the end of September. I have cards and wrapping paper left over, so don’t have to worry about those. ?? 
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    Since my kids grew up I'm a bit meh about Christmas...
    Think I've had too many to be faffed now 

But I get really peed off at what seems like pressure to do or buy, this that or the other and if your not in a permanent state of panic and/or euphoria about the whole thing then there must be something amiss.

I'm perfectly happy to buy gifts and indulge myself and loved ones but I refuse to engage in the hysteria that seems shoved down our throats earlier and earlier each year.
    Very much a 'keep Christmas to December person'

Bah humbug1 :D
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,681 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Haven't started yet but thinking about it. Usually i give money to my eldest 2 and presents for my younger daughter because she just doesn't understand money. My grandson will no doubt be extremely spoiled again this year. It's my elder daughters first year in her new home this year and i've been invited over hers for Christmas dinner :)
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Options
    How is everyone getting on with present buying?

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • MarkM88
    Options
    @Ross_Scope I’m all done and wrapped. It feels good. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Think ill buy everyone a camping gas stove, tent and sleeping blankets, well you never know.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm all done present buying wrapped a few but lots more wrapping . Thinking about just buying gift bags as easier now I can't see well 

Food still to get doing it at a shop rather than my usual online shop 
  • woodbine
    Options
    We went into town today and considering that after today there are only two more shopping Saturday's till Christmas it was really really quiet.
    All done though now except SM two bigger presents, she eventually found a diamond and ruby ring I had promised for our Ruby wedding in October, so i'm officially skint now. :'(

• Ross_Alumni
    Options
    Perhaps the weather was impacting the number of people out @woodbine? It's been dreadful around here. I imagine too that quite a few people have stuck to online shopping, even with there being less restrictions than this time last year.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.