Your first ever car ? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Your first ever car ?

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
What was the very first car you had ? in 1976 I brought a MK1 ford Cortina (1962 model) it cost me £40 and lasted all of 5 weeks, over the years I then had a number of rust buckets, until in 1984 I got my first brand new company car, had a new car then every two years until I packed up working in 1998.
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,680 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Mine was in 2016, a Mini Cooper - a new BMW one not an old one. Sadly it died in 2019 and was replaced by a similar one but this time a Cooper S. Third and current is a brand new Cooper S on Motability.

I like Minis. :)
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Here are the Minis in the order I had them…

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My first car was a vauxhall Viva in 1987 was an old p reg 

Then a Ford fiesta a B reg 

Had selection of second hand cars b4 buying my first brand new punto sport version 

My fave car I owned was a Peugeot 206 convertible but traded it in after I had toby 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    My first was a grey minivan for work in the year of our Lord nineteen hundred and seventy two. It was a good un and cost me £90.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 563 Pioneering
    Options
    My first ever car was a P reg Skoda Felicia that I got given me for free when I passed my test at 18. It had no power steering, lacked power going up hills and the locks were broken so had to climb through the boot to open the doors. But a car is a car and I loved it anyway. I named it betsy. It was replaced a few years later with a Ford KA that was cheap to run and cheap on insurance.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,323 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My first car was a MK5 Cortina in 1989, paid £800 for it and every morning i had to bump start it, it was a nightmare. Had many different cars since then ranging from Fiesta's to Cavaliers. Lost my license for 9 years due to epilepsy, had quite a few cars since having it back and now have a Peugeot 3008.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had the mini Mayfair first mini they brought out in metallic with five gears I was presented my car by the mayor of Wolverhampton and I had flowers and choclate first mobility car I had 
  • coylygirl
    coylygirl Community member Posts: 283 Pioneering
    Options
    I bought my first car, a Ford Fiesta Ghia on a A reg in 1989, didn't haggle and paid an astronomical £3K.  3 months later during the hurricane, my neighbours roof fell on it
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I was told just to buy a cheap, old car for the first one as 'everyone crashes their first'...

9 months later, not crashed, not even bumped, and hated how basic it was (5 doors and a boot to lock individually for a start!) bought a newer, better specced one, which lasted 2 weeks until it burst a radiator hose in the town centre, went off like a gunshot!!  :s. AA were useless.

Turned out the headgasket had blown and the car was a lemon in general.  Ended up selling it to a guy that rolled it about a month later!  Then bought one from a well known forum member which had been much better looked after.  Few months later the gearbox failed!  Had it replaced but never could trust the car again.  Then it broke down on a blind 60mph bend out in the countryside...horrible experience, RAC were useless.  

Maybe I'm just unlucky...I've now owned over 60 cars since 2009.  :o
  • 66Mustang
    Options

That works out at about 1 car every 2 and a half months :open_mouth:

I can’t imagine how much that cost you just in admin costs when you switched car insurance :D 
  • Cressida
    Cressida Community member Posts: 1,018 Pioneering
    edited September 2021
    Options
  • OverlyAnxious
    OverlyAnxious Community member Posts: 2,623 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    66Mustang said:

That works out at about 1 car every 2 and a half months :open_mouth:

I can’t imagine how much that cost you just in admin costs when you switched car insurance :D 
    It does average out like that, but many were bought in 'bursts' so I'd own 2 or 3 at a time for a few months and then go for many months without buying any more!  In fairness, not all of them were insured either, some were bought to fix up and sell on, others were bought for parts only if they were beyond fixing.  Some were bought to use temporarily while my 'main' car was being repaired.  By the 4th one I was doing all of my own maintenance and servicing (after terrible garage experiences!) so no labour costs to pay.  The costs roughly evened out over time, the old adage of 'win some, lose some' was correct over such a large number. 

Most were bought back when tax was transferable, so there were no tax costs to pay on those, but I think the insurance was generally about £20 admin fee for the ones I did insure.  My current insurer doesn't charge any admin fees, which has been useful this year...having made 6 changes so far, 3 of which back to the original car as the others weren't suitable.  :|

I do miss the 'car days'...  All of the 'mates' I met since school were through cars in one way or another.  Haven't met anyone new in the last 3 or 4 years since being out of the 'scene' after my health issues got worse.  I only applied for PIP after a car acquaintance with OCD said I should be eligible as he was...so I wouldn't even be on here if it wasn't for my car days!  :D
  • Cress
    Cress Community member Posts: 1,012 Pioneering
    Options
    Mine was a dodgem, circa 1975… :D
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,103 Disability Gamechanger
    edited September 2021
    Options
    My first car........ was a van! A brown Fiat Fiorino, which was lovely to drive. Then we got the 'Big Orange Bomber;' a VW van. I didn't like driving this much as I felt too high up! Next we had a Limited edition Toyota Corolla, which I really liked driving; my son reckons I used to go around bends on 2 wheels. :)
  • onebigvoice
    onebigvoice Scope Member Posts: 749 Pioneering
    Options
    My first car was a Austin A35 Four door saloon Delux 1961 and cost £40 I had it about 5 weeks and my dad said, you would be better parking the car infront of the house instead of round the corner.  ( I thought he didn't know I bought a car... )  I had a few lessons and passed my test and was able then to go pick up my now wife of 49 years and go into town.  That was 1969.......  
  • oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 218 Pioneering
    Options
    My first car was a VW Polo 1050cc in 1987. It lasted me twelve loving years. Cheap to run.
    I don't drive no more bcs of the expense. But I'd have another Polo no qualms 

• Bumbles
    Bumbles Community member Posts: 34 Connected
    Options
    My first ever car was a 1955 Austin A40 Somerset, wonderful car it had column gear change, steel sunroof and bench seats front and back.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.