I want to move out, I’m 25 single female, jobless, still at home with parents — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

I want to move out, I’m 25 single female, jobless, still at home with parents

Options
cloe101
cloe101 Community member Posts: 19 Connected
I have severe anxiety and psychosis I’m on benefits, but how can I move out? Social housing? Please advise. 

Comments

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

Social housing would be the best option but you will find it difficult to get anywhere as the demand is huge with priority given to homeless and those with children 

Being single with a roof over your head will put you bottom of the list 

You may find private rent but again Being on benefits will go against you and they will only pay lha rate towards your rent 
  • cloe101
    Options
    Hey janer1967, 

Thank you for welcoming me =) 

I’m kind of stuck between staying at home or joining the housing register - I can’t make a decision =( 

thanks,

cloe 
  • cloe101
    Options
    Hey Teddybear12, 

Thank you =) 

My family is really supportive and helpful, just feel like I’m 25 everyone is moving in with their lives apart from me, I’m just stuck in the same old cycle/place, just want to be independent really,

Cloe 
  • Dyne
    Dyne Community member Posts: 3 Listener
    Options
    I would join the housing register if only to get a feel for what the process is like and what they can offer you. Being on the list does not mean you have to accept any offer.
  • newborn
    newborn Community member Posts: 832 Pioneering
    Options
    In some areas the list is thirty years long, but those on the end will possibly be further back after another twenty years, because increasing population means others alway come first.   In some areas single people are housed only  if completely street homeless and also  not intentionally homeless in other words  having voluntarily left a home.  Even then, their options are often a hostel room which is not congenial, because other residents are extremely antisocial and scary.   It may be different in your area.   
    More and more people just stay in the parental home indefinitely these days.
    Do you have any options of house sharing with people you get on with even better than your parents? 
    In many areas now, renting alone, privately, while on benefits,  is not possible, let alone affordable.
  • cloe101
    Options
    newborn I could live with my friends? But some of them are not reliable unfortunately…
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Moving out can be a really big decision @cloe1, so it's definitely worth considering the different options available to you. It's understandable that you'd want some independence, but I think it's important that you don't move out just because that's what everyone else is doing. We all move at our own pace, and plenty of people still live at home when they're 25 :)

Have you spoken to your family about being more independent whilst living at home? For example, you could take on some responsibility such as managing your own budget, doing the food shopping, helping to sort the bills out, whatever you feel comfortable starting with really.

Are you receiving any support for your mental health at the moment?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • rubin16
    rubin16 Community member, Scope Member Posts: 580 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi welcome to the community,

I also live with parents still, and have Autism, Schizophrenia and other health problems. I joined the social housing register when I was 20 (now 30), so 10 years ago and I'm still at the bottom of the list. I'm also waiting for supported accomodation but been waiting for this for 3 years now. I feel so trapped and useless still living with parents at 30.

The thing is if you want to move out and can't get private rented there is a long wait, a very long wait, like others have said if you're not homeless you will be right at the bottom. My advice would be to join as many registers as soon as possible as it won't happen immediatley but atleast you've started the ball rolling.

Another option is to speak to your mental health team about supported accomodation as theres still a long, but shorter wait than social housing and you can gain some independance.
    I have Autism, ADHD, Schizophrenia, Gilberts Syndrome and Crohn's Disease and have knowledge in these areas.

• cloe101
    Options
    Thank you, I will definitely speak to my family about being move independent =) Yes, I’m with my local mental health team they do help me but maybe I should mention it to them =) 

thank you so much for the advice everyone =) 

@rubin16 I relate so much to you! I have special needs, psychosis and other health problems, i feel so bad for you waiting that long for accommodation =( I wish you well in the future and good luck =) 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.