Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

MH issues and MR

Options
lilo2021
lilo2021 Community member Posts: 5 Listener
edited October 2021 in PIP, DLA, and AA
Hi, I really just after some advice regarding evidence to back up a claim. Basically I had a miscarriage  (number 6) December 2019...was horrendous and knocked me for six. I've always had anxiety and have a diagnosis of GAD but after this and due to issues around it I started to surfer extreme physical and physiological symptoms of anxiety....so I was signed from work April 2020....advised to go for PIP Jan 2021 as CBt, councilling etc have not helped...I do take medication but due to alot of unresolved issues around the baby losses and gyny issues I seem to be moving no future forward and have gone from working full time, driving, taking kids out, managing finances and Supporting my husbands business to having my contract terminated, not leaving the house unless husband or Mum are with me...not driving my car....panic attacks are constant...can do phone calls very well....lack concentration...exhausted (on iron for anemia) constantly on edge and very low in mood..... so after my PIP assessment which is very badly written, doesn't include most of what I said, doesn't explain my issues, and is very inaccurate factually in terms of dates, treatments etc I was awarded in 2 points.... so my husband sent in an MR and supporting letter....8 weeks ago and still.nothing...MP contacted...however the fact that this has been going on for 10 months and is having a hugely detrimental affect on my MH doesn't seem to affect their handling of it. So anyway we are preparing for tribunal as I don't believe they understand exactly how my life has changed in the last 18 months + and I don't hold much hope of a better decision.  So my question is would my occupational health assessments that lead to my contract being terminated, my gyny letters showing that treatment/investigations stopped  dead and are still delayed due to covid and the information relating to the lengthy miscarriage along with my gp letter, family statements etc help my case? Sorry for the lengthy post but I don't feel they understand what a massive impact the anxiety/panic attacks has had on my life or how the circumstances that got me here are not really going to have some quick fix....thank you for listening

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,092 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi,
    I'm sorry to hear all of this.
    When you have an assessment for a benefit like this the assessment provider isn't there to write down what you say verbatim, if they were then there would be no point in the assessment in the first place. They are there to gather more evidence to support your claim. They then write the report based on their opinion of everything, which includes your form, the extra evidence you sent and the assessment. So my advice is to ignore the report because this isn't going to get you a PIP award. If it gets to Tribunal concentrating on the report can damage your case.
    Backlogs are huge at the moment because of the pandemic and i know things seem like they have returned to normal, it's far from this. Some DWP staff and the assessors are still working from home which isn't easy to do, especially if you have children around you. All this has added to the backlogs. DWP guide for times from starting a claim are about 10 months, this doesn't include MR waiting times, which can be anything up to 3 months, sometimes longer.
    Anyway, if you get to Tribunal then your anecdotal evidence will be the best you can ever send. A couple of real world examples of what happened the last time you attempted that activity for each descriptor that applies to you. Adding information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    Letters about your treatment stopping because of the pandemic won't help, the same as letters from your GP because they don't spend any time with you to know exactly how your conditions affect you. Remember, PIP isn't about a diagnosis.
    MR success rate is currently about 50% but that's falling. Tribunal success rate is more than 70% and even higher if you can get representation from an advice agency near you. Most hearings are taking place by phone so if it does get this far then i'd advise you to tell them that you want the oral hearing, rather than a paper based one because paper based hearing success is about 5-8%.
    For expert advice start here. https://advicelocal.uk/
    Hope this helps and if you have any more questions please do ask. Good luck.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @lilo2021

Wishing you a warm welcome to the community, thank you for speaking so honestly about what you've been through and how you are feeling.

I hope the above reply has been helpful.

I am sorry to hear about the impact the miscarriage has had on your mental and physical health, that must have been such a traumatic event to go through and you have my thoughts and very best wishes.

I am sorry to hear that certain kinds of support, such as CBT and counselling, did not help you, however do you have any other kind of support in place through your GP to manage your mental health? Do ensure you continue to speak with them if you ever feel as though you're struggling to cope, or if things are becoming hardert o manage. 

You could also access support and advice through places like Mind and the Mental Health Foundation. And of course, I hope you find the community to be a positive outlet and enjoy your time being here. 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • lilo2021
    Options
    Thank you both for responding.  I'm working on anecdotal evidence now, I just wondered what else would help..... I understand the assessment is to form an opinion by asking questions I just feel that all of what I've said has been dull down of you like.....I'm trying my best to explain something to them that feels impossible to explain....the somatic symptoms I get are immense in feeling and in amount and they are literally crippling my whole and for someone to dismiss it is a hard pill to swallow.

I do have the letter from my work ending my contract, a letter from my Mother, a letter from my husband,  from my 14 year old son and a diary and run down of examples....I obviously have a copy of my medical records showing the doctors diagnosis and my prescriptions.....

I've contacted CAB  and  they have offered support if I get to tribunal  also my local mind however they cannot offer support with PIP and although they can offer counselling which I would really like it is chargable and without PIP I won't be able to afford it.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,092 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    A letter from your work ending your contract is not evidence because PIP isn't about your ability to work, people claim PIP and work.
    Medical records are only useful if there's something in there that states exactly how your conditions affect you and most only state the basics like diagnosis, medication and past appointments. A diagnosis is often not in dispute and PIP is not about a disagnosis.
    Letters from people that know you well maybe useful, if they state exactly how your conditions affect you. Although the best person to tell them this is yourself because you will be the only person that knows exactly how you're affected. The anecdotal evidence will always be the best you can send.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,506 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @lilo2021 :) How have you been getting on? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Sign our petition calling on politicians to stop demonising us
  • lilo2021
    Options
    Ho Tori, I've written a 4 page letter with examples for the descriptors....I've tried my best to explain how I feel and how often and given examples..... my husband rang PIP this morning an my MR is with a case officer...don't know what that means and no time frame for any decision. So we are just preparing for tribunal. So frustrating and really is making things worse having to wait so so long...this started 4th February with the claim so its been a long old road.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.