Been declined LCWRA. My mortgage is in arrears. Worth appealing? Would PIP be void if I worked? — Scope | Disability forum
Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.

Been declined LCWRA. My mortgage is in arrears. Worth appealing? Would PIP be void if I worked?

Wookie66 Member Posts: 12 Listener
edited October 2021 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi, I have been told today that the medical experts say that i am fit to look for work.
i have degenerative disc,with lumbago and spinal stenosis, which means i cant bend and need help with socks and shoes, need support in and out of the bath because of weakness in my legs, i cant feel my feet and have pins and needles in my legs, and my balance is not the best. cant stand for long periods of time, and sitting only causes more discomfort. And on top of this i have clinical depression. My mortgage is in arears and i have been told if i dont get back on track soon they will reposes my house. I dont get a penny of UC as of last month because i am no longer entitled to the child element and my wife earn £1000 a month. is an appeal worth it, or shall i just cripple myself by working part time to save my house. I just don't know what to do. I have applied for PIP, but will this be void if i take some part time work.


  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,620 Disability Gamechanger
    edited October 2021
    You can request the Mandatory Reconsideration (MR) for that decision. For this you need to state which group you think you should be placed into and your reasons why. Have you had a look at the descriptors for LCWRA? If you haven't then it will help to do that. The link for those is here.
    I note from a previous thread that you have a 20 year old son, which is why you no longer receive the child element. (if he's your only child) This means that your wife's earnings will reduce your UC to zero.
    You may want to get some expert advice regarding you MR, for this start here.
    Regarding working, people do work and claim PIP but if working contradicts the reasons why you're claiming PIP then it could go against you. Same for the LCWRA/LCW.

  • Wookie66
    Wookie66 Member Posts: 12 Listener
    The thing i disagree with from these so called medical experts, is this, How can they say im fit for work
    from a 10 minute phone call. I was'n't even seen face to face. Some reasons they used against me were, that im only under my GP, I am not on stronger pain meds from GP, and i don't have any physio. 
    The reason I am not on stronger pain meds is because I cant afford the prescriptions, I was refered for physio, but it was 12 miles away, and i had no way to get there. I don't drive, and i don't have money or taxi's etc. I think ts is totally unfair.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Member Posts: 25,620 Disability Gamechanger
    One thing to remember is they are not medical experts and the assessment you had is not a medical. The AP do not need to have any knowledge in any specific medical conditions.
    Its the claimants responsibility to prove they qualify for one of the groups. The majority of the time it's because of poorly completed forms.
    If you've received a copy of the assessment report you need to put it to one side and forget about it because this isn't going to get you placed into one of the groups.
    Adding a couple of real world examples for each descriptor that applies to you will really help. Include information such as where you were, what exactly happened, did anyone see it and what the consequences were.
    With your prescription costs have you looked into the NHS low income Scheme? The HC2 form is the one that gives full help with NHS treatment such as dental, prescriptions etc.
    Although not being on stronger pain medication has nothing to do with being placed into one of the groups, this is just one of the cut and paste reasons they sometimes use.

  • Wookie66
    Wookie66 Member Posts: 12 Listener
    Someone told me that i can speak to a financial advisor if i call the council who will help me, but i cant find anything about this. is this information correct ?
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Member Posts: 13,317 Disability Gamechanger
    Some councils do have money advisers who will help to make sure you are getting all benefits entitled to and advise on debt etc

    You can also get help through welfare rights and cab 


Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.