If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is MrsG5568!

Options
MrsG5568
MrsG5568 Community member Posts: 7 Listener
Hello all
Serving police officer with a disability trying to encourage others to join the police

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,796 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    @MrsG5568 Hi and welcome to scope.

Not that i'm interested (i'm far too old) but what disabilities do the police allow/not allow in new recruits? It might be of interest to some of our members.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi and welcome to the community 

We have had few members from the police force asking questions around reasonable adjustments when their health has become an issue 
  • Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options
    Welcome to the community @MrsG5568 :) 

It's great to have you here with us and how interesting that you're serving in the police force :)

It would be really interesting to hear more about your experiences of working in the police force and what you find fun/exciting about the role? We have a category on the community named 'work and employment' which might be helpful for you and interesting to hear others stories about employment and disability. 

If you have any further questions or concerns, then please just let us know.

Libby
    Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • MrsG5568
    Options
    Hello. All. Thank you for the welcome. As well as being a busy Detective working in child abuse I am the chair of the force Disability Support Group and a committee member for the national Disability Police Association. Therefore any questions on reasonable adjustments pass my way. In respect of who can join in reality anyone with adjustments. 

I have recently helped an who had a lower limb amputation and used a prosthetic leg, they were a keen cross country runner and the only adjustment needed was to use an automatic vehicle and not a manual. The fleet is now being changed to accommodate this but also because 52% of all cars sold in the UK are automatic. Further to this it means we are future proofing the current workforce as musculoskeletal issue is on the rise and having automatic vehicles will help non-disabled officers and staff. 

The police is so diverse it can be accommodating to in the main most disabilities and anyone who had a aspiration to join should not be out off. 

• MrsG5568
    Options
    eeek missed out a word ‘individual’. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Hi @MrsG5568 and welcome to the community!

It's so interesting to hear about the switch to automatic vehicles. As a driver of one myself, I can't argue (I also use a left foot accelerator and steering ball), they are so much easier to drive :)

I look forward to seeing more of you around the forum. If you need a hand with anything please don't hesitate to ask.

Alex
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.