Managing the negative voices — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Managing the negative voices

Options
Glen1981
Glen1981 Community member Posts: 18 Connected
I am happy to say that I am very much on the mend, back to job hunting, had lots of great therapy and feel a lot better.

However the voices havn’t stopped, and I’m wondering how others manage the constant onslaught of negative voices that come with anxiety and depression.

I use music and am “recharging” by sticking on a funny video, having an hourly break to stretch and dance or settle and do a meditation.

But I still hear the teachers asking if I am stupid or lazy, I still have daytime memories of negative comments such as lecturers taking the **** when I spent the summer revising for resits at uni, and endless memories telling me I’m stupid and lazy and useless and it’s like wading through water, slowing me down and making me so tired. 

I’ve told the doctors and counsellors who say it is normal, but the coping strategies help but don’t turn it off… is it just something people live with? 

Any advice is welcome, thanks in advance 

Comments

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Glen1981 I'm glad that you feel on the mend and have started job searches. I would see a different Dr with the voices you hear, one that will be more useful.  With anxiety I find distraction helps. Music as you typed, I find if I'm out and anxiety starts  I do something like read or have a conversation. Dr did offer me medication for it, so i would definitely try again with your gp.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @Glen1981

Thanks for posting and speaking so honestly about how you feel and what you have been through, I'm glad to hear that you are on the mend and back on the look out for a job, how is that going?

Sorry to hear that the negative thoughts and voices persist though, that must get quite frustrating and annoying to manage sometimes. I am not sure how you stop those voices completely, but it is important to have coping techniques in place to manage your way through those moments where your head won't settle down.

In your post, you say:
    " use music and am “recharging” by sticking on a funny video, having an hourly break to stretch and dance or settle and do a meditation."

These things sound great, I would encourage you to keep it up, if you ever feel as though you are finding things a bit tough then do one of these, or any other hobby you have. I would also try reassuring yourself as much as possible by telling yourself that those things said about you aren't true at all, and I'm sorry to hear of the experiences you went through with teachers and in college.

If you do feel as though you need additional support that your current medical team is not providing, as suggested above it might be worth speaking with somebody new to see if you can get anywhere with them.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.