Funny things we say. — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Funny things we say.

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,744 Disability Gamechanger
I'm sure we have all said them or heard others say them, but what do you think are some off the funny things we say are?
I'll start with a couple;

"it's too cold for snow"

"are you reading that newspaper you're sat on?"

over to you...
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• slug
    slug Community member Posts: 22 Listener
    Options
    “Don’t eat yellow snow”

it took me long time to realise what it meant 
  • Gadget9616
    Gadget9616 Community member Posts: 28 Connected
    Options
    I use this multiple times a day, and this is my favourite..

Wheres the thingy-ma-jiggy?

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited January 2022
    Options
    Pointing to an empty chair saying “Is anyone sitting there?” Always makes me laugh.

seven parts to the wind, as in drunk.

some other single words make me wonder, like ‘match’ or even ‘matches’ as in the objects used to light something, even ‘lighting’ is odd though it’s quicker than saying ‘set alight’. I always remember an ape called Lucy who called a cigarette lighter a ‘fire stick’ by using sign. There are lots of words like these, a ‘‘notice’ is another, as in an advertisement, of course you ‘notice’ a notice! bit like calling a car a ‘drive’. 

Or is it just me 🤪 (probably)

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,768 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My nan always used to tell me to take "my coat off" inside because otherwise i won't feel the benefit when i go outside.
    My daughter often asks if i can get her the "thingy" and it's in the thingy. What? :D
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I thought it was '3 sheets to the wind' as explained here: https://www.infobloom.com/what-does-three-sheets-to-the-wind-mean.htm  I do find it interesting to see the origin of some phrases, which can often go back many years, or indeed centuries.
    I know I was initially puzzled by my Yorkshire godparents saying,'Put wood in't hole,' i.e. 'shut the door.'

• leeCal
    edited January 2022
    Options
    I just remembered another my father in law used to say
    ”if I had a wooden eye I’d have a wooden eye wooden eye”.
    you had to be there, as they say.

@chiarieds You’re right of course, I’ve confused things with “knocking seven bells out of you” , never happened to me but it sounded bad. 

How about waiting for a “month of Sundays”.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,744 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    chiarieds said:
    I thought it was '3 sheets to the wind' as explained here: https://www.infobloom.com/what-does-three-sheets-to-the-wind-mean.htm  I do find it interesting to see the origin of some phrases, which can often go back many years, or indeed centuries.
    I know I was initially puzzled by my Yorkshire godparents saying,'Put wood in't hole,' i.e. 'shut the door.'

Along the same line @chiarieds there was many years ago a radio DJ called Phil Woods, his catch phrase was "put some more wood on the wireless"
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,770 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Helping my 4 year old grandson today with his jacket in a tight space, i said we cant swing a cat here can we, he replys after, where are we going to swing the cat, me...were not going to swing any cats, it would be mean lol
  • leeCal
    Options
    My mother used to say “ if ifs and ands were pots and pans we’d have no need for tinkers.” 🙂

― Dalai Lama XIV

• chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,125 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'd completely forgotten that one @leeCal - thank you :)
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It's raining cats and dogs my grandad used to say to me and my brother do we would run to the window for years we thought he was seeing things lol 
  • oldngrumpy
    oldngrumpy Scope Member Posts: 218 Pioneering
    Options
    Revenge is a dish best served cold

Not really appropriate, but I often think this

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.