Remaining politically neutral during General Election 2024

Under guidance from the Electoral Commission and Charity Commission, it's important that Scope remains politically neutral during General Elections.

While we understand that this period will see many passionate discussions and do not want to discourage open discussion, we cannot allow discussions which are purely intended to influence voting.

As ever, please make sure that your comments remain respectful of other people's opinions and keep to our online community house rules.

Not been awarded PIP. Mandatory Reconsideration, is it worth it? Please help

Options
13»

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 56,092 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    No one has mentioned anything about accidents. I think the advice about just requesting the MR is the best thing to do at this stage. The most likely outcome will be the decision will remain the same, though we have had some members who've had the MR decision changed in their favour.
    If it doesn't change then you can proceed to Tribunal and get some expert advice, if you can get representation then even better.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • John_Moody
    John_Moody Posts: 34 Connected
    Options
    It all comes down the what evidence you can provide, they ignore pretty much everything the claimant says and rely completely on medical evidence from professionals even if those professionals are as thick as two short planks (which they usually are).

The guys at the tribunals go to the same lodge as the people who run the DWP, they spend their time getting drunk and smacking each others bottoms with paddles.

And now you know why the country is in a mess, get your evidence but it won't be easy, be a Pitbull and latch on to their buttocks until you get what you want.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Medical evidence is only useful if it states exactly how your conditions affect you and most doesn't. As has been advised in this thread many times, your anecdotal evidence.. real world incidents is what's needed.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • andwhatisnow
    andwhatisnow Community member Posts: 40 Connected
    Options
    No one has mentioned anything about accidents. I think the advice about just requesting the MR is the best thing to do at this stage. The most likely outcome will be the decision will remain the same, though we have had some members who've had the MR decision changed in their favour.
    If it doesn't change then you can proceed to Tribunal and get some expert advice, if you can get representation then even better.
    I meant incidents.
    The fact that the MR decision will likely remain the same really hurts me, considering all the thinking/writing that I'm doing.
    Yesterday I was called by a local law charity and maybe someone will be assigned to my case. Hopefully with an expert the outcome will change.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    edited February 2022
    Options
    andwhatisnow said:.. The fact that the MR decision will likely remain the same really hurts me, considering all the thinking/writing that I'm doing.
    Decisions do get changed at MR stage even though the majority do not. Even if the decision is unchanged at MR the effort you are making now will help at appeal stage.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • andwhatisnow
    edited February 2022
    Options
    Someone from a law charity called me today. I'm not sure I received the right advices, as this person told me to do the MR on the phone (you all said writing is better) and explain why I disagree with their decision, and to collect medical evidence from doctors, when you all said it's not necessary.
    I wanted someone to look at my explanations and maybe rewrite them in a way that they will work.
    Can anyone here help me privately?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    I always advise to put the MR in writing, rather than phone. 
    Medical evidence isn’t really needed and is only useful if it states exactly how your conditions affect you. 
    I personally don’t advise privately here because I just don’t have the time to do that. I also don’t know exactly how your conditions affect you and to advise anyone like this I would need to know everything about your conditions, which isn’t possible on any Internet forum. 
    There’s no right or wrong wording that you should use, just tell it how it is. 
  • calcotti
    edited February 2022
    Options
    If you do it in writing and keep a copy you have a record of what you have said. If you do it by phone you have no record and you are reliant on what the best person taking the call writes down. I think it’s fairly obvious which is better for you.
    I personally don’t advise privately here because I just don’t have the time to do that. 
    Ditto.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • andwhatisnow
    Options
    Sorry for the many repetitions but...
    If I say....Leaving my room and going to the kitchen, makes my anxiety go out of control, fearful thoughts invade my brain. Due to the fact that my brain is already occupied by traumatic thoughts, if I try to concentrate on another task, my anxiety goes up even more, and I can't handle it, so I have to leave immediately.

Also, I told the lady on the phone that when I'm able to go to the kitchen, I use ready steamed meals from supermarkets through the microwave. That alone is already 2 points. I don't know why she put 0.

• Libby_Alumni
    Libby_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 1,251 Pioneering
    Options

Hi @John_Moody,

Whilst we recognise that every individual’s PIP experience is unique, valid, and individualistic, the DWP must consider all evidence provided by the client, regardless of the source.

The DWP case manager (CM) will review the claim and all evidence provided and make a decision regarding the award of the benefit (please see here in section 1.1.8). The evidence must be interpreted and evaluated using medical reasoning, considering the circumstances of the case and the expected impact on the claimants daily living and/or mobility. Please see here in section 1.8.11.

I would also like to remind you to be mindful of your tone on the community. We want to keep the community a friendly, respectful, and supportive place (as per our community house rules) and some of our members might have considered your words quite offensive with regards to medical professionals. I would also like to clarify that the medical professionals who undertake the PIP assessments have completed various training qualifications and demonstrate an extensive amount of competencies (please see here).

If you have any questions relating to the above, then please don’t hesitate to get in contact with the community team.

Libby

Online Community Information Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did we do a good job at answering your queries or concerns? If so, complete our feedback form now. 
  • chili14
    chili14 Community member Posts: 17 Connected
    Options
    Sorry for the many repetitions but...
    If I say....Leaving my room and going to the kitchen, makes my anxiety go out of control, fearful thoughts invade my brain. Due to the fact that my brain is already occupied by traumatic thoughts, if I try to concentrate on another task, my anxiety goes up even more, and I can't handle it, so I have to leave immediately.

Also, I told the lady on the phone that when I'm able to go to the kitchen, I use ready steamed meals from supermarkets through the microwave. That alone is already 2 points. I don't know why she put 0.

I maybe wrong here and a more experienced member might be better placed for advice but (if I remember correctly & I probably don’t!) using a microwave to heat a tin of soup is acceptable method of preparing food. So I’d assume a microwave meal would be same criteria?
    I don’t think how often you eat would be a factor either. When you can do it can you do it well? In this instance, though your not eating as often as you should by your own admission, the answer is yes.
    I could be completely wrong on this - I’ve filled in the form once and was declined, so am no means an expert!

also, I’m sorry your having a tough time with your mental health. You’ve alluded to previous trauma, I hope your getting help with that. There are some good talking therapy’s available if you can’t handle leaving the house to see someone. 

• calcotti
    Options
    chili14 said:..I maybe wrong here and a more experienced member might be better placed for advice but (if I remember correctly & I probably don’t!) using a microwave to heat a tin of soup is acceptable method of preparing food. So I’d assume a microwave meal would be same criteria?
    Using a microwave to heat food is considered as being able to heat food, however the activity includes being able to prepare food which means being able to take raw ingredients and peel and chop them as necessary.
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.