Good news vs bad news — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Good news vs bad news

Options
janer1967
janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
Good news finally put on the waiting list for cataract surgery now the injections have reduced swelling at back of eye 

Bad news 1 still got to have injections every 8 weeks 

Bad news 2 can't find dentist on waiting list for 1 about 12 month list . Could get in this week if I go private but the estimated cost for what I need would be 3k which is out of my affordability 

Guess I won't have many teeth left once I finally get to top of list 

Comments

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @janer1967

Thanks for keeping us in the loop. All I can say is I fully agree with @Teddybear12. If you need anything, you know where we all are! Take care for now and sending you the best wishes for your injections and trying to find an earlier dentist appointment on the NHS that you need and deserve  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope all goes well for you @janer1967, I recently had to have a tooth out privately due to a lack of nhs dentists and it cost me £170! It was just before Christmas so I wasn’t going to go through Christmas with a raging toothache, still that was a lot of money to me.

anyway good luck 🙂

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I’m so lucky that I am still registered on a list, went last Wednesday for a check-up with only a filling needed. As for my sister she’s not on a list and has severe toothache and no one can help her so at the moment she’s having to save up to get her private treatment even though she pays it’s still 5x the cost of NHS prices.

Terrible when you’re in pain and no one will help you.

I hope everything goes well for you.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The lack of nhs dentists is a national disgrace quite frankly!

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• janer1967
    Options
    The dental situation is a disgrace they can take you private at same surgery with same dentist and see you within a week but to go NHS a waiting list of over 12 months 

The private costs are just out of reach for majority of people 

I am fed up of constant pain , infections , losing teeth and just want the remaining 15 teeth removing and dentures . The cost on NHS is £280 which I wouldn't have to pay anyway compared to over 3k private ? 
  • janer1967
    Options
    I've just booked a private appt just so I can find out what is recommended then maybe I can save up lol 
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• bg844
    Options
    I think the government should cover most of that private fee, would massively help with the backlogs and would help give time to recruit more dentists. If the fee was still £500 it’s still shocking but a big ease compared to £3k! 

My treatment is free now thankfully but I did used to pay and it did put me off going!
  • bg844
    Options
    The dentist with the shortest waiting list for my sister (same area as me) is 45 miles away and it’s a 18 month wait at least they said to her over the phone, she was willing to travel haha.
  • janer1967
    Options
    Thanks @woodbine I have looked at that before 

I have the added problem with it having to be accessible and when someone can take me 

Managed an appt private tho for Easter school hols 
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,381 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hopefully you get sorted soon, there is good information on @woodbine link.
  • AndrewHall
    AndrewHall Community member Posts: 242 Pioneering
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    Good news finally put on the waiting list for cataract surgery now the injections have reduced swelling at back of eye 

Bad news 1 still got to have injections every 8 weeks 

Bad news 2 can't find dentist on waiting list for 1 about 12 month list . Could get in this week if I go private but the estimated cost for what I need would be 3k which is out of my affordability 

Guess I won't have many teeth left once I finally get to top of list 

I wish you all the best.  Focus only on the good news and stay strong 💪 🙏 
    Never allow DWP assertions to define you. They never have evidence of your true circumstances.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    The best way to go private is join a private health care and pay monthly things get done alot quicker me and mum are with private health care and pay monthly if I phoned a normal ambulance I could be waiting hours I phoned ambulance on private health care it was here with in the hour abd a Dr was here within half hour to assess the situation I don't normaly agree with private health care but these days I feel the need for it 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,631 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I didn't think private health care included emergency treatment such as ambulances.. According to this link, it doesn't. https://www.onlinemoneyadvisor.co.uk/insurance/health-insurance/private-health-insurance-emergency-care/

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options

I note that you didn't specifically mention emergencies @lisathomas50, however "normal ambulance" could imply that, so I just thought I'd clear this up for any other members. As stated by Poppy, private healthcare does not cover emergency situations but still can provide an ambulance for other purposes

The link shared above, which you can read here, states:

"In some cases, yes, private health insurance may provide or pay for a private ambulance. This ambulance provision may be used to take you to and from hospital or even between hospitals if a transfer is required.

However, because private medical insurance doesn’t cover emergency care, it can’t be used to provide or pay for ambulance transportation for an emergency visit to a hospital’s A&E department.

It’s also worth being aware that not all private medical insurance policies will provide a private ambulance and for those policies that do, it may come with a higher monthly or annual premium. That’s because most private healthcare insurance comes in a variety of cover levels:"

Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • janer1967
    Options
    I have considered private health care insurance I worked in this area for 2 years most policies however won't cover pre existing conditions 

Also for dental there is an annual limit on amount they will pay which will nowhere cover what I need doing 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,119 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    As ever, including private health care, read the small print. Those with a pre-existing medical condition may find they're excluded for a couple of years in some situations; those with chronic, ongoing disorders may continue to be excluded; it will depend on the private health insurer's criteria.
    Personally I can only say that when I suspected a genetic disorder in myself & family, that our then private health insurers advised that we could use our private health insurance to gain a diagnosis, however after that, anything else, such as a fracture (that I later managed to sustain), would all be put down to our genetic disorder, & therefore we couldn't claim. Some info here, for example:
    'Many insurance companies will not insure you for any pre-existing conditions. BUPA [one of the largest health insurers] has a particularly strict policy that excludes any condition for which you have had advice, treatment or medication during the previous seven years, or that has produced symptoms. This applies whether or not you have had a medical diagnosis.

If it's thought that the condition could need treatment in the future, BUPA will exclude it from your cover absolutely.' from: https://www.netdoctor.co.uk/health-services/private-insurance/a4537/private-medical-insurance-for-people-with-pre-existing-medical-conditions/ '

Private health care has it's place, but not everyone can afford it either. With my example of a fracture (a fractured neck of femur/fractured hip) with the NHS, paramedics were here within 10 mins, & an ambulance 10 mins later....I can't fault that, tho of course an ambulance should be more likely available for those with an acute cardiac or respiratory condition, i.e. something that's life threatening.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,712 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Not sure if this will help but it's the old Saturday hospital fund

https://www.hsf.co.uk
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    Options
    Thanks @woodbine like I said earlier there is a limit of what they pay out for dental care the most expensive plan at £70 a month which I obviously can't afford would only payout £450 for dental care so would pay £840 a year to get back £450 

I know it covers other things as well but wouldn't be cost effective 

Also expect my dental treatment to be around 2 to 3k 
  • chiarieds
    chiarieds Community member Posts: 16,119 Disability Gamechanger
    edited April 2022
    Options
    The HSF also says on p13 of HSF individual,
    ....'read the declaration carefully before signing it. Some medical conditions make it necessary to offer limited cover in our plans and you will be advised if this applies to you.
    These restrictions include: any conditions which existed or for which symptoms were present before you applied for the policy or which began during the qualifying periods; any development of existing conditions; any recurrence of conditions which have existed in the past; any hereditary or congenital conditions which may already exist but which manifest symptoms only after cover commences and any which previously existed but were not disclosed. It may also be necessary to refuse claims relating to a particular area or structure of the body where there has been a problem in the past.'

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.