Sense of justice — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Sense of justice

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
I don't really know where I'm going with this but does anyone else feel passionate about things being fair and just?
I've been told it can be part of ADHD but I have quite an extreme and I'm told unusual, sense of fairness and it's one of only a couple of things that make me really mad and feel like ranting. 

Comments

• 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,764 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have a really strong sense of justice and feel really uncomfortable for a long time after anything “unjust” happens. I’d say it’s the thing I feel most strongly about actually.

That said, and reading a bit of philosophy helped me realise this, my sense of justice is only justice in my mind! Same as yours is only in yours. Doesn’t mean it’s actually correct, it’s just how we feel!

A question, do you find that the little things trigger your sense of justice as much as big things? For example the invasion of Ukraine most will agree is unjust, but in my mind if someone says something unjust or hypocritical it affects me just as much.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Yes!!!! and then I feel guilty because people seem to think its awful I'd even compare the two but to me unjust is unjust!
    66Mustang said:
    That said, and reading a bit of philosophy helped me realise this, my sense of justice is only justice in my mind! Same as yours is only in yours. Doesn’t mean it’s actually correct, it’s just how we feel!

I read this bit over and over as it really hit something inside me. It is a really powerful thing to realise. Just wow. 
    It's so obvious but also not at all if that makes sense? I know we all have our own realities and one persons truth isn't the same as anothers but I never extended that to think about justice and fairness.
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,702 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Part of my core belief is a strong sense of social justice, that everybody should have the same chances in life regardless of their background. Sadly it's something that I think has been missing from our society in recent years.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Laura442
    Laura442 Community member Posts: 54 Connected
    Options
    I experience this yes but have never been able to explain it in words, you have just helped me thank you! I have gotten myself into all sorts of situations sticking up for people that have been treated unfairly. I just can't bear to see people being bullied or treated unfairly it really upsets me and makes me angry. I am yet to go for an ADHD diagnosis but the more I hear about ADHD the more I think I could be diagnosed with it. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    ADHD has so many elements and the name is totally misleading and probably doesn't help with why people assume it's just naughty children that don't pay attention. :( 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I found this a particularly interesting comment @Biblioklept. I am currently studying reducing school exclusions for students with ADHD for my dissertation! More awareness and understanding are needed. I also have a strong sense of justice though and I attribute that to being autistic  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I've seen it in others too, like younger children with ADHD who can't regulate emotions as well flying off handle at something that seems quite minor but it's that sense of justice kicking in. So some kids could rationalise little things like feeling ignored or not getting picked to answer a question or someone getting a bigger pencil or whatever but it's more likely to lead to dysregulation for someone with ADHD! 
    Good luck with dissertation! What course are you studying?
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Really powerful! Thanks for sharing your observations with us @Biblioklept. I completely agree with you.

Sometimes (most of the time in fact!), it is just taking that time to understand the thoughts and emotions behind the behaviour.

Thank you for your kindness. I am currently studying for a Masters degree in education with a focus on special educational needs and disabilities  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    Also interesting @Username_removed. Thanks for sharing your experience with us  :)

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.