are we the fish? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

are we the fish?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
I don't know where I'm going with this or if it's too much for this forum but I read something online a few days ago and it's kept me awake wondering and thought others might have opinions on it. 

If you think of a big fish swimming around in the ocean its whole entire world is in that ocean, it is a big ocean full of places and things it probably will never see but it could never imagine that it's a tiny fish in our giant universe, as to the fish, its universe is the ocean. Even if it could survive out of the ocean it wouldn't comprehend the vastness of the world outside the ocean.
How do we know that we're not just fish in something else's ocean?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I certainly feel like a fish sometimes with the amount of things I forget :D 

Very thoughtful question though, thank you @Biblioklept. I like to think that on another galaxy there is another David Atonborough narrating documentaries about humans :) 
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited June 2022
    Options
    Yes I think it’s a fair metaphor, we are like those fish but in a cosmic sea. 

Personally i I think people should spend more time being concerned with the planet and the welfare of the people’s of this planet. We actually rely on each other a lot more than most people think, we are interrelated as shown by the effects of the war in the Ukraine. The war also shows how narrow minded and selfish some people can be, wrapped up and concerned only with how things can benefit them, ie Russia. 

Unless people see the bigger picture things will not improve for the human race. It is said that those who do not learn from past mistakes are doomed ... to repeat them.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    your posts are always so insightful <3 thanks @leeCal!

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.