Motivation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Motivation

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
How do you motivate yourself?

Every night I go to bed disappointed at what I haven't done that day and convince myself that tomorrow I will do ALL THE STUFFFFFFF and my life will change and I will succeed and just do things. And each morning I wake up thinking I will too. But within about 10 minutes my mind and mood changes and I'm struggling. Rinse and repeat :D 

I know part of it is my conditions but I'm so tired of being disappointed in myself, but even that isn't enough to motivate me. Even having the drive and desire isn't enough.

How do you motivate yourself? How do you ... do things?

Do you reward yourself? Berate yourself if you don't? Or do you just find it easy?  

Comments

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Yes i can agree with you @Biblioklept it can be very hard to motivate yourself when your tired or in pain all the time - i try and set myself one task a day to do and if i achieve that it does make me feel good and not wasted my day. Todays job i got my hubby to put ironing board up for me in the living room so i am looking at it all the time ha ha, so can you guess what i will be doing when my day starts. x
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    That's a good way to make yourself do it, if it's right in front of your face it's harder to ignore!! 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,820 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Sorry that this isn’t a post with any advice, it’s just how I feel and maybe someone can relate.

I find it easy to motivate myself to do something if the “reward” is immediate, for example making some food. However I find it hard to motivate myself when there is a delayed reward that you have to work towards.

An example of this is when my support worker tried to get me going out on my own. He told me at first just to go outside and stand there for 2 minutes on my own, then maybe do a 2 minute walk round the block, then a 5 minute walk, and after several months or even years I might be walking to a shop on my own. In my mind, though, standing outside on my own causes me all sorts of anxiety and it’s just not worth it as it’s not immediately going to get me to the shop if that makes sense?

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I do lack motivation a lot. Especially house work, I wake up saying right I'm going to do everything but I don't.  Half the time I don't have the energy, I also have to use a helping hand stick to pick things up. It's the jobs like wiping doors cleaning windows etc
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Sandy_123 said:
    I do lack motivation a lot. Especially house work, I wake up saying right I'm going to do everything but I don't.  Half the time I don't have the energy, I also have to use a helping hand stick to pick things up. It's the jobs like wiping doors cleaning windows etc
    I hate that feeling as I wake every day with it. Right I'm going to do all these things... and then it doesn't happen. And then at night I stress that I've not done it and commit to doing it next day, and then don't. And it goes on and on and on. 
    It wasn't perfect but I did it so much better when taking my ADHD medication but it's just impossible to maintain getting my prescriptions and the meds reliably. 
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I can find it difficult to motivate myself to do things too @Biblioklept

Have you ever heard of the 'no zero days' mindset, or 'eh, may as well?'? I realise they might sound a bit random if you haven't, but they can be quite helpful :D I'd be happy to explain if you're not familiar with them. 
    It wasn't perfect but I did it so much better when taking my ADHD medication but it's just impossible to maintain getting my prescriptions and the meds reliably. 
    Have you spoken to your GP surgery or pharmacy to see if they could support you with this at all? I use my local pharmacy's text service so that they let me know when my prescription has arrived, which I find useful. I set reminders on my phone for when I need to contact my GP to get a new prescription, too. 

You could also look into getting your prescription delivered, if that'd be easier for you?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Teigr
    Teigr Community member Posts: 3,533 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    My obsession with lists helps,I get a stupid amount of satisfaction out of ticking off each item.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,662 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I've got Spotify on playing, while i tidy round, i recommend music 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    I've had music on today @Sandy_123 and it has really helped
  • janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    O always have music on when doing house work gives me the lift to get up of the sofa and get jobs done 

I'm really into smooth radio at the moment they play lots of music I can sing along to 
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I absolutely agree with you all about the power of music!  :D
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Starlingbird
    Starlingbird Community member Posts: 169 Pioneering
    Options
    I make a list of all the things I need to do. If anything is more urgent, then I put a star by it. Every morning I check my list and, depending on how badly my med condition is affecting me, I choose one thing off the list that I feel capable of doing that day. Some days I do more than one thing, other days I only manage a five minute task, but whatever I do it gives me a sense of acheivement because I can cross the completed thing off my list. 
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    @Starlingbird that's a good idea, I get so much satisfaction ticking stuff from a list
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    You might like to consider downloading an app like Daylio @Biblioklept :) 

• L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Oh, a new one for me @Tori_Scope! What does it look like?
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Depends on wether you are a moving towards or a moving away person. Moving towards positive outcomes or moving away from negative outcomes. So the latter would do a task for fear of negative outcomes if the task was not completed. Ie penalties of some kind for not doing something. Etc.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• Biblioklept
    Options
    leeCal said:
    Depends on wether you are a moving towards or a moving away person. Moving towards positive outcomes or moving away from negative outcomes. So the latter would do a task for fear of negative outcomes if the task was not completed. Ie penalties of some kind for not doing something. Etc.
    I'd never considered there being different reasons for doing things, only that they needed doing. I like this approach and think I'm a mix of both depending on the task. Which are you?
  • Tori_Scope
    Options
    It's a diary and mood tracker app @L_Volunteer :) It allows you to record what you've done each day, as well as set yourself goals. I don't use it myself, but I have loved ones who find it helpful. 

• SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I had a power surge yesterday @Biblioklept and dusted the house.
    Mind you the dusters had been looking at me for a couple of days, in the lounge, but it got the job done x
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Well done @SueHeath!! I hate dusting and always feel like I'm missing something when I'm doing it. 
    Housework in general makes me feel stupid like I never know if I'm doing it right or what should be included.
    Example this morning it struck me, do people wash their door handles?! And if so how often? I wipe mine every day with antibacterial wipes because of OCD but do people clean them generally and how?
    When dusting what exactly am I meant to dust? 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.