If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Do you think children should be allowed to stay off school?

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,729 Disability Gamechanger
With officials saying there's a risk to life with the heat and advising working from home, do you think children should have to be going to school on Monday and Tuesday this week? 

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,806 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    With most schools breaking up for the summer holidays this week and the fact that they do no learning in the last few days of term if I had a child under 12 I would keep him/her off school on Monday and Tuesday.

Why bother to issue the first "red" warning for heat ever and expect everything to continue as normal makes no sense.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• janer1967
    janer1967 Community member Posts: 21,964 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think they should still go most schools are air conditioned 

If they stay home they will 0rob be out in the garden 

My son doesn't finish till Thursday next week so still nearly 2 weeks left 

School have relaxed uniform for Mon and tue they can wear pe kit or just trousers / skirt and shirt no blazers or ties 

They are also been kept inside for breaks 

If the school doesn't have adequate ventilation then maybe they should consider closing 

Its also not be easy for 0arsnrz to find childcare if they stay off 
  • woodbine
    Options
    The only air-con my school had 50 years ago was to open a window  :)

• bg844
    bg844 Community member Posts: 3,887 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have seen many posts about this on different forums and social media. 
    My opinion is simple, schools should stay open but if you don’t like it then it’s your decision to take your kids out. The ranting was getting quite aggressive all over this issue, it’s the last half-week/week for many anyway so I can’t see anything happening for you doing so.

Please think of all of those children with disabilities and conditions where they can’t tolerate heat very well. I can’t tolerate long periods of heat either.
  • janer1967
    Options
    @woodbine that was then lol my school was a new build modern school which had hot or cold temp control 

Toby school is new with full air con though I appreciate not all schools are 

@bg844 of course it goes without question if a child cannot tolerate heat and school can't accommodate this then I too wouldn't send them to school . I also think it should be parents choice 

But its going to be hot anywhere the children are unless you have adequate air con it's not only going to hit schools 
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    mmmm this can be a very contraversal one - i worked in a kitchen we had no air con but the dinning room did, and i had trouble with getting staff to work in the heat. there are people that work on sites with furnaces and know doubt there are other jobs that work in extreme heat. Apparently our local job centre is closed Monday and Tuesday. If we are going to have periods of weather like this if it is global warming, we can't have disruption like this all the time.
    I also think of Parents who have to work, they then have to sort out extra child care. I know the position at the moment is only left to parents if they send their children in but why is this even being thought about - it's hot were ever you might be.
  • Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 52,574 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Kids should be ok at school if teachers allow them to drink in class, it's usually only at break times, I think in this heat they need access to fluids. All sport activities need to be stopped also, Monday and Tuesday. I don't think it's a case of just having to live with it, it's extreme heat  conditions that has a red  warning to  danger to life for all. 
  • woodbine
    Options
    I would add that we should all take care over the next two days when temp looks set to rise the high 30's even 40 degrees c. and also look after your neighbours especially if they are elderly and alone make sure they are drinking lots of water and staying as cool as possible.

• Sandy_123
    edited July 2022
    Options
    If this is due to Global warming and is going to be a regular occurrence with red warnings to danger to life we will have to find a way to adjust.  Lots of hot countries manage. 

Global warming is 1 thing having extreme weather for a while is another. 
    Also other countries are not the UK they are more geared up for it and a different climate
  • Sandy_123
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Absolutely @woodbine everyone should try be as careful as possible, including animals, not walking dogs ect on hot pavements.
  • woodbine
    Options
    It seems that Chester zoo is closed on mon and tues but not all schools, odd one that ?

• Sandy_123
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Lol @woodbine were just in a national emergency. Some trains been taken off too, some schools down south are closing. And job centers in the red alert. Our council bin men are starting earlier to finish earlier .
  • janer1967
    Options
    @woodbine I would have thought Chester zoo closing is to protect the animals and keep them in the shade rather than be out on view to the public in heat they are not used to 
  • SueHeath
    Options
    I live by a primary school, so because of this thread i have been doing a survey ha ha or being nosy - not many children in today and instead of playing on play ground 1st they have been ushered straight into school.
  • Sandy_123
    Options
    Lol @SueHeath a survey, my grandkids are going in PE kits
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Yep i have 2 that can go in without blazers and ties and 3 that can wear shorts with their school polo shirts - they seemed okay about it when i spoke to them the weekend - i think their just excited that it's their last week and they all will be finished before Friday xxx
  • Sandy_123
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Yes ours break up this week, I told my 7 year old, your off for 6 weeks, he's like am I. I'm glad it's cooling down again on Wednesday 
  • SueHeath
    Options
    Yep me to i love summer but normal summer ha ha - have a good day and stay safe xx
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    janer1967 said:
    I think they should still go most schools are air conditioned 

I don't think I've ever been in an air conditioned school, although it's been some time since I attended school I've worked in many and none have been air conditioned. I did work in one where just the headteacher's office was though  :o

• Biblioklept
    Options
    SueHeath said:
    I also think of Parents who have to work, they then have to sort out extra child care. I know the position at the moment is only left to parents if they send their children in but why is this even being thought about - it's hot were ever you might be.
    I do think it should be optional so parents can choose without risk of fine for attendance. 

In my opinion being in a poorly ventilated classroom with 30+ other people, wearing a uniform and trying to work with limited access to food and water except on someone else's timetable is very different to being able to wear anything, sit next to a fan, have food, water, ice etc any time. So although heat is same where ever you are, the situation and how you manage it is different
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.