If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Hi, my name is Doglover2 pip is driving my anxiety wild.

Options
Doglover2
Doglover2 Community member Posts: 49 Listener
edited July 2022 in PIP, DLA, and AA
OK, went from indefinite dla to 0 points pip,won tribunal, got three years, second time 2points,won tribunal got 2years,now in a pip review,waiting five months, not a peep to even say they got the form back,but I know they did as I sent it "To be signed for" and I got a screen shot of the signature. 
Anyway, as its a review they didn't want old evidence, I have nothing knew as my conditions go back,40,20,25,30 years, you get the idea. I did send a diary my sister wrote as she helps me out A LOT.but did I make a mistake Not including any old evidence?
My anxiety and panic disorder are going through the roof,not to mention my other conditions,.
Any help or words of encouragement truly appreciated, p.s I live in Northern Ireland. 

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 55,098 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    5 months isn't that long to wait to be honest. They have been concentrating on new claims for quite sometime because of the backlogs. We've got members here that have been waiting 10 months for a review.
    You should expect another assessment because most people have them. Once an appointment becomes available you'll be contacted.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Doglover2
    Options
    Thank you,.
    I totally expect another "assessment".I've heard about new claims taking priority too,I know ppl waiting a year to be re assessed but I'd have felt a tad better if I was kept in the loop instead of being kept hanging ,I'm a bit wary of phoning them, others have said they tried for hours to get through anyway ,with little success.
    Assessment is a joke, first f2f she never looked up at me once,the report was so full of lies from my age to a passage about my daughter, what daughter,I have never had one. 
    I honestly thought the report was someone else's, I had to keep checking my name on the front. Second assessment via phone,not much better, random strange questions all to trip me up. I'm sick with horrible health conditions not stupid. 
    Entire things a farce.
  • Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,707 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I hope if you have another assessment that it goes better @Doglover2. I sent my review forms back at beginning of year and haven't heard a peep from them :D 
  • Doglover2
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I'm hearing more and more that ppl are waiting up to a year,.if they'd let us know it might take longer I wouldn't mind,But they don't.The very same to you. I cringe when I hear of anyone being put through another assessment. Thank you. @Biblioklept
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    It sounds really difficult that they don't let you know @Doglover2. As you said, you wouldn't mind if they would let you know.

Good luck with it all. Please feel free to keep us in the loop with how things go. We are all here for you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Doglover2
    edited July 2022
    Options
    Awww thank you @L_Volunteer
    I'm just too afraid to phone and ask,I know come sept when it will officially be my last pip payment as it runs out oct 4th,If I've still heard nothing I will have to steel myself and pick up that phone.The entire process invades my thoughts night and day, I can find joy in very little.
    Life is difficult enough without this constant slog to fight for money. They even stopped my pip during the Pandemic, something I thought they were not meant to do. 
    Thanks again.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,983 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @Doglover2. It sounds difficult that you know you need to make that phone call but are too afraid to phone and ask.

Does anything make phone calls more manageable for you? For me, it's the little things like doodling whilst on the phone! or writing bullet points of things I need to say before I ring. 

We hear how difficult things are for you at the moment. We are here for you, even if that's just a listening ear  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Doglover2
    edited July 2022
    Options
    @L_Volunteer
    Its just dealing with them that puts the horror into me.
    I'm not so bad otherwise. But I will do it come sept,because when you are backed into a corner you just have to act.
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    It sounds like dealing with them is really tough @Doglover2. What might help to deal with them feel more manageable?

Glad to hear you're not so bad otherwise. That's definitely positive, especially as you can recognise that  :)

• Doglover2
    Options
    I finally phoned them on Thursday, lady said my review form has gone to an assessor, 🙄and I should get a letter soon re type of assessment.,date And time etc.Knew I'd be going through it again.@L-Volunteer
    Needless to say my migraines have been coming thick and fast since. Will just have to handle the "assessment" as best I can. 
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hi @Doglover2 I'm sorry to hear you've been suffering with migraines lately, do you have access to medicine to help relieve symptoms?

It might be worth letting your GP or pharmacist know if the migraines are very frequent, and they can help source the most effective treatment for you.

Let us know how things are going with your PIP claim, and we will support you with it as best we can. It's a difficult process to go through I know, but at least you know that you've done it before now. We're all here for you :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Doglover2
    Options
    Hello and thank you @Alex_Scope ,yes I have various meds,I've had severe migraine with aura,face and arm numbness,nausea and double vision since I was 13. But when stressed they rocket out of the blue and I can't see to do anything for up to an hour before the pain starts. My gp knows all about them and my numerous other health issues. Thanks again.
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    They don't sound fun at all @Doglover2 but thanks for explaining that your GP is aware. I hope they subside quickly for you. 

As always, just ask if you need anything :)
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • Doglover2
    edited July 2022
    Options
  • L_Volunteer
    Options
    You are welcome @Doglover2. It is the very least you deserve. We are all here for you  :)

• Doglover2
    Options
    All I can do to stop myself from going over the edge,
    @L_VolunteerI want to scream to the heavens, I haven't even the energy for that tbh.
    If it's going to end up against me,which im pretty sure it will, I'd prefer it sooner rather than later, the past five months have weighed heavy, I'm almost 56 I can't really take much more. But at the same time I'm loathed to give up. 
  • Starlingbird
    Starlingbird Community member Posts: 169 Pioneering
    Options
    Hi @Doglover2

I really feel for you as I know how difficult the benefits system is for so many people. I also suffer from anxiety which causes a massive escalation in my other med conditions. Whenever I'm going through another review, or know that my current claim is coming to an end, I develop a real fear of hearing the letter box rattle. Anything that comes through the door makes my stomach churn and puts me in a panic. I actually start shaking and feel like I am going to vomit when any benefit related stuff arrives at the house.

The only thing I can say is to not take anything personally from the DWP, etc. You are just a National Insurance number to them! Hold onto the fact that you have been through all this before, you have survived it AND you have always been successful. The system flows at the speed it flows at, you can't change it (I picture it like a huge crowd of people, all trying to get through a handful of turnstiles!). You are a fighter and that's a great gift!

Good luck and I hope things get sorted for you soon. 
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Morning @Doglover2

Thank you for your continued replies and updates on this thread, it's really nice to hear from you.

I'm concerned that your mental health seems to be in quite a low place at the moment. Of course it's totally understandable, these processes can have an impact on well-being, but I just wanted to drop in here to tell you that you have the full support of us all. 

Do you have any support in place from your GP to help you manage your mental health? If you do feel as though you need more support to manage, it might be worth getting in touch with them to talk about how you feel at the moment. You mentioned your anxiety and panic disorder in your opening post, so please make sure that you utilise any coping techniques you may have to help you through this difficult time.

Mind have an information page all about what you can do to help yourself cope, and I find it to be really helpful. You can also call Samaritans any time on 116 123 if you want to have a chat with a friendly call handler.

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Doglover2
    Options
    @Starlingbird,Thank you for your kind words. 
    Yes I've navigated esa for years and dla,now pip,this is third time with pip. I just need to get it over with and try to take it day by day after that. My panic attacks are terrible ,like you I dread seeing that envelope,soon as I see the post man my anxiety goes into the stratosphere. It shouldn't be this way.Not for any of us.
    Totally agree, we are a faceless number ,nothing more. 
    I've never wished for retirement age in my life,until now. Even if I've little to live on I will get by. 
    Much love to you. X
  • Doglover2
    Options
    @Ross_Scope Thanks to you too for your kind words.
    Trying to get to speak to my gp is ridiculous,  I've been trying for weeks.
    I have mentioned how my anxiety etc goes insane when dealing with benefits, she simply says you will get through it, obviously has no idea of the true trauma,and it is a trauma.
    I had covid twice ,first time was horrific. Five weeks of it,second time it wasn't just as bad,then later on  I'd a chest infection and carpal tunnel syndrome over past two years, couldn't even get it down on record. Got no medication for any of it ,just had to ride the waves. I could not face hospital  though i know I probably needed to go,at some point in that time,Plus they are so very stretched I felt like just another burden. 
Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.