Disabled children in the Ukraine — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Disabled children in the Ukraine

Options
woodbine
woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
I have just seen on the BBC 6 o'clock news one of the most upsetting reports I think I have ever seen, it concerns disabled children and young people in the Ukraine, some of them were tied up, many of the older ones were left in cots too small for them, a lot of them had been taken from their parents because they were disabled.

I could go on but I'm typing this through tears of sadness and disbelief, since Russia invaded I have been flying the Ukrainian flag it's now in the dustbin, and I really hope that we as a country withhold further aid until these children are looked after as we would look after our disabled children.

John
2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    How awful @woodbine :( I haven't seen the report yet, but I'll try and give it a read/watch later. Did they explain in the report you watched why this might be happening? 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,663 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Part of the problem was that they had moved some children from the east of the country to the west, but to me thats a poor excuse, the reporter also suggested that this was something that wasn't unusual. Hopefully the EU will put pressure on them to make massive changes if they wish eventually to become members.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Biblioklept
    Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Is there anywhere I can read or watch this? That's heartbreaking :(
  • ShirleyW
    ShirleyW Community member Posts: 355 Pioneering
    Options
    @Biblioklept I think you will be able to watch it on BBC iPlayer.  Be prepared though it's very distressing.

The report said that part of the problem is that it's a leftover thing from 30 plus years ago when Ukraine was still part of the Soviet Union.  But that nothing much has changed in all that time.  

It sounds similar to the Romanian orphans problem some time ago.

I do think that Ukraine needs to sort this problem out as it's not something that should be allowed to happen.  

What bothered me as well is that because it is a leftover from the old Soviet regime, does that mean that there are also many of these places in Russia too?  And we don't know about them?

I don't think it is just Ukraine that treats disabled people this way.  I suspect that it happens in other countries too like China possibly.
  • SueHeath
    SueHeath Community member Posts: 12,420 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I watched it - it breaks your heart, it's like something you would come across in the victorian era, so distressing and i can still remember when the Romanian care places were shown. 
    I just wonder if the reason for this type of care is that funding is not given to them.
    I feel very great full for living in England when i see things like this, altho i know that we have had our problems, but i put that down to evil people. x

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.