"Dirty tricks" — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

"Dirty tricks"

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
A Government minister has reportedly agreed to urgently investigate the "dirty tricks" used at WCA and assessments for PIP and I wondered if anyone had experienced them or their thoughts or whether they think they are tricks? 

I had a few similar things to what's mentioned in the article and didn't at the time even think about the fact they'd be using it as part of the assessment or that it was a trick but maybe it was.
I had paperbased for my recent PIP but my WCA was in a building where the entrance ramp was "not in use" and had a sign saying not to use it. Then the actual assessment part was the furthest possible point away within the building. They had a water cooler with a sign saying "please ask for cups" and during the assessment when he offered me a tissue, he kept the box next to him (across the desk from me) and told me to help myself. I thought at the time it was a bit rude but didn't think about the fact it's a good way to assess arm function. 

I'm not saying all these things were intentional but it does get you thinking!! Did anyone else experience weird things that could be considered a "trick"?

Comments

• Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    An interesting question @Biblioklept, do you have a link to the article? 

I think it's hard to distinguish the difference between what could be a trick and what could just be a poor building design, poor organisation or just somebody not being overly polite.  It will be interesting to hear the findings.
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    Sorry of course here it is: https://www.benefitsandwork.co.uk/news/assessment-dirty-tricks-to-be-urgently-investigated

I'm torn on whether I think it's a problem either way because if you can't do something, you can't do it, even with them trying to trick you. But I don't know. It still feels wrong and probably forces some people to do things beyond them. It also doesn't show anything about being able to do an action or task repeatedly and reliably just because you can do it once. 
  • 66Mustang
    66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,687 Disability Gamechanger
    edited July 2022
    Options
    I don't want to start slagging them off or get into a debate as I've generally had good experiences;

However, one thing I always thought was a bit dirty is when they force people to attend an interview then say "you communicated during the interview so you obviously have no communication difficulties". Yet if your difficulties do prohibit you from taking part and you refuse to go, they mark you down as not complying and end your claim.

As said, just because you force yourself to do something once doesn't mean you can do it all the time.

That said, I'm all for catching people out that are trying to cheat the system.
  • Grinchy
    Grinchy Community member Posts: 1,858 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I have had a bad experience with the lift not working at a centre, thought that was a bit off, i managed the stairs but it was a hike to the top, i wouldn't put it past them to try it on, i've had assessment's done in the past that made it seem i was fit and well, been through the nightmare of appeals, luckily my last one was fine and we got an award,
  • Biblioklept
    Options
    66Mustang said:
    I don't want to start slagging them off or get into a debate as I've generally had good experiences;

However, one thing I always thought was a bit dirty is when they force people to attend an interview then say "you communicated during the interview so you obviously have no communication difficulties". Yet if your difficulties do prohibit you from taking part and you refuse to go, they mark you down as not complying and end your claim.

As said, just because you force yourself to do something once doesn't mean you can do it all the time.

That said, I'm all for catching people out that are trying to cheat the system.
    Despite the "tricks" my WCA was actually a good experience too. I've had bad ones as well but on the whole it has been positive. I do agree with the communicating during an interview being seen as clearly not having any communication difficulties. It's pretty ridiculous really but something I've experienced too. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.