When does the UC Assessment period start? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

When does the UC Assessment period start?

Options
MadCow1
MadCow1 Community member Posts: 396 Pioneering
edited November 2022 in Universal Credit (UC)
Hi everyone,
 Does the UC Assessment period of 3 months start the date of submitting your first sick note (fit note) to the DWP?

Can anyone help me with this question, please?

Comments

• poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,323 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It starts from when you reported your health condition, provided you sent a fit note within 7 days of that. It's a full 3 month waiting period so bear that in mind. The extra money is them paid from the 4th month.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    My 1st fit note was submitted on may 27th this year. I forgot to ask the 2nd part of my previous question was it when DWP receive your UC50 form that it starts?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    MadCow1 said:
    I forgot to ask the 2nd part of my previous question was it when DWP receive your UC50 form that it starts?

No. As advised here.
    It starts from when you reported your health condition, provided you sent a fit note within 7 days of that.

MadCow1 said:
    My 1st fit note was submitted on may 27th this year.

Whats the dates of your monthly assessment periods?
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    I started my claim 27th may by phone when I told them I had a fit note. Had to go to the office on may 31st security appointment to show them birth certificate etc (including fit note),then had to go into the office on 7th of June for my commitments appointment. 2nd fit note.submitted 11th July for 6 weeks . Posted my UC50 Form back to them yesterday,it has to be there by the 12th August.
  • calcotti
    calcotti Community member Posts: 10,010 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You still haven’t answered poppy’s question of your monthly period period. Need to know that too.
    Information I post is for England unless otherwise stated. Rules may be different in other parts of UK.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    So your assessment periods (AP) are 27th to 26th of each month. You submited your fit note at the start of your claim. If found to have LCWRA then your waiting period will be May/June, June/July, July/Aug.. LCWRA starts from AP 27th August to 26th September and first payment will be 2nd October.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456,

Thanks very much for this information, it's much appreciated 👍
  • poppy123456
    Options
    No worries :smile:
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Hi,

My UC50 Form had to be returned by August 12th of this year,I have had no word back,as of yet. 

Is it normal to take this long?  It's really stressing me out, because it was my  former JSA Advisor who told me switch to UC & to go down the health route,as it would be straight forward & had nothing to worry about.

It's so confusing.
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Yes, it's perfectly normal because there are backlogs in a lot of areas.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Hi,

If I get LCWRA,would it be backdated?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    MadCow1 said:
    Hi,

If I get LCWRA,would it be backdated?

As advised here.
     LCWRA starts from AP 27th August to 26th September and first payment will be 2nd October.

Up to now they would owe you 2 months.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Thankyou . I know I've read all the advice for other people,but I can't take it all in.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,493 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Don't worry @madcow1 :) Many other people are the same! Do you feel you understand it now?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Yes, I think I am grasping int now, thanks.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    It sounds really positive that you think you are grasping it now @MadCow1. Please don't hesitate to let us know if we can do anything else to support you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Hi, just to let you know that I have a Work capability assessment (phone call) next Wednesday afternoon. I only found out because I received a text message reminding me about it. It mentioned a letter which they had sent me, which I haven't received, with the appointment date & time. I queried this through my UC journal and my advisor looked into this for me & told me that a letter had indeed been sent on the 30th November (2nd class) . It's a good job that the text message was sent,as I would have missed that appointment.

Has anyone got any tips for me, please. Do they go through the answers I gave them on the form?
  • poppy123456
    Options
    Considering all the strikes that Royal Mail have had and the upcoming further strikes i'm not surprised that you haven't received the letter. Good think they usually send reminders for WCA.
    During the assessment they will likely want to know what a typical day is like for you. Yes, they may ask you to confirm what you wrote in the form so if you kept a copy you should have a read before the assessment. It can last anywhere from 20 - 120 minutes.
  • MadCow1
    Options
    Hi @poppy123456,

Thanks very much for your reply and your advice, it's much appreciated.
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    You are welcome @MadCow1. It is the very least you deserve.

Please don't hesitate to let us know if there's anything else we can do to support you. We are all here for you and listening to you  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.

Do you need advice on your energy costs?

Scope’s Disability Energy Support service is open to any disabled household in England or Wales in which one or more disabled people live. You can get free advice from an expert adviser on managing energy debt, switching tariffs, contacting your supplier and more. Find out more information by visiting our
Disability Energy Support webpage.