Poem called landline phone is being phased out — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Poem called landline phone is being phased out

Options
Globster
Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,385 Disability Gamechanger

The landline phone is being phased out.
Which is crying shame as it becomes another number in our history books.
With most people keeping their landline so get the internet.
I can guess that some people that are not good at using technology are going left not able to contact their family members or friends.
I call for all phone providers to change their minds because elderly family members' minds have been decline due to not be see and talking to their loved ones. 
Let's make sure our landline phones are pieces of history and be an archive piece which shown in our museums in years come.
If landlines phone could talk they would say please don't let a forgotten memory gather dust sat some shelf some spare us being another piece of history.  
A tear falls from my eye at the thought of our loved ones not being able to contact us in their hour of need as speedy could be essential because are not used to using mobile phones and so use using their landline phone surveys have shown.    

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

Comments

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think you've made an important point about people who perhaps don't have access to a mobile phone, or aren't confident using one @Globster. I'm aware that there are some schemes to help people learn how to use them, but it's definitely a worry. Do you know anyone who might be in this position?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Globster
    Globster Community member, Community Volunteer Host, CP Network, Scope Member Posts: 2,385 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    @Tori_Scope
    My grandparents from mum's side are between 80 and 90 years old I have serious concerns about this issue 
    Do you know if Scope is going to do a campaign against the landline phone being phased out, I hear friends who are elderly. on daily basis, their work landline phones were phased out@Tori_Scope

I am a Community Volunteer Host. Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.

• Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's a good question @Globster- I'm not sure! Do you think it might disproportionately affect disabled people? 

I hope that your grandparents manage okay. Do you think someone would be able to teach them how to use a basic mobile phone?
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    edited August 2022
    Options
    Hi @Globster,
    Your poem has highlighted a real issue. My Mum, she will be 90 next month, will only use her landline. We have previously got her a mobile but she said she will not use it and we have to respect her wishes. We also got her an alarm to wear on her wrist in case she falls but she won’t wear that either. Her landline is basically her lifeline. We all see her most days but she still likes to ring us late at night for a chat before she goes to bed and without a landline she won’t be able to do that. 
    We have also asked her to move in with us but she won’t as she values her independence. 
  • Globster
    Options
    @Tori_Scope
    I think this will affect disabled people because if you can not big brands pay as go phones can be difficult if you have dexterity problems think I can see my grandparents struggle as have so used to the landline I think it is hard to ask them to learn a new piece technology. There are plenty of family members to teach them how to use mobile but could get the hang of how to use a basic mobile one because they got hang of using the landline phone @Tori_Scope

• Globster
    Options
    @Karen7788
    I definitely agree our elderly family members do like their independence, my grandma has a wristwatch by the hospital in case she falls all those their sheltered house in Leicester where my mum sisters and brother live near Leicester because grandma only knew how to use the landline so I can be a problem for so many people if we

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.