Question for fashion experts? — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Question for fashion experts?

Options
66Mustang
66Mustang Community member Posts: 13,814 Disability Gamechanger

I’ve been shopping for a couple of pieces of clothing recently.

I want to know why clothes models often look incredibly grumpy in photos?

I’m guessing they are told to look like this, but why?

I found it refreshing seeing the odd one who was smiling.

Comments

• leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    edited August 2022
    Options
    If it’s women your talking about I think it’s so they look pouty. With men it’s so they look serious about their ‘look’ .  Actually it may be the same reason for men and women thinking about it.
    You wouldn’t want them cross eyed and looning about would you.

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    edited August 2022
    Options
    @leeCal I'm talking about men mostly but I've seen a few female ones and they are the same.

I don't remember suggesting they should look cross eyed and looning about :D but nothing wrong with a smile! I have seen a couple smiling and they actually looked more welcoming.

I will try to find a couple!
  • 66Mustang
    Options
    Something like this I think there is nothing wrong with?

• Sandy_123
    Sandy_123 Scope Member Posts: 51,588 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I'm no expert, I think it's just the poses they are asked to do. Each shop has different techniques, I'd prefer to see someone being natural. Some are using disabled models too in women's fashion and curvier models. 
  • leeCal
    leeCal Community member Posts: 7,550 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Caption “me, wear this outside the house...no way!” 
    🤣

“This is my simple religion. No need for temples. No need for complicated philosophy. Your own mind, your own heart is the temple. Your philosophy is simple kindness.” 
    ― Dalai Lama XIV

• 66Mustang
    Options
    Actually that was the other thing I was going to bring up @Sandy_123 but decided to keep the thread light-hearted. But actually it's a very good point. It would be nice to see more different shapes and sizes of model. Like you say I think there are a few more today than there were in the past but would be nice for it to be more representative of the population!
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    I think it's often meant to be a bit of a smolder @66Mustang, but I agree it's nice to see them smiling! It's also good to see a range of body types and ethnicities represented, as well as disabled people too of course :) 
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map
  • Autumn_Feeling
    Autumn_Feeling Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    Options
    It’s all about selling the clothes. Not the model’s personality. Although, I think some brands relax that rule.

The serious expression can be traced back to fashion photography in the early 20th century. Basically it’s the upper classes making a statement. Wearing the right clothes with a stiff upper lip says ‘I’m better than you.’
  • Alex_Alumni
    Alex_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,562 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That's really interesting @Autumn_Feeling is this a topic you know a lot about? :)
    Online Community Coordinator
    Scope

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Want to give us feedback? Complete our feedback form now.
  • 66Mustang
    Options
  • Autumn_Feeling
    Autumn_Feeling Community member Posts: 67 Courageous
    Options
    That's really interesting @Autumn_Feeling is this a topic you know a lot about? :)

As a kid, I wanted to be a comic artist and was told to learn about everything about art. Although I’m not an expert.

A lot of old portrait paintings look very serious.

Fashion and art have a close relationship.
  • Karen7788
    Karen7788 Scope Member Posts: 598 Pioneering
    Options
    A smile can distract away from the outfit, to the face or personality. The clothes are the highlight not the model. 

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.