Would Anybody Like to Swap — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Would Anybody Like to Swap

Options
PamStan
PamStan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
We currently reside in a very large 3-bedded open plan terraced house with a hand reared fruit garden/rockery in a very large yard.  All sounds very grandiose but for the fact that I was able bodied with children when we moved in many years past.  

Now there is only me, my hubby and our two dogs.  We registered for re-housing approximately 10 years past.  All we want is a 2-bedded house or bungalow. 

I even joined the Housing Exchange program that for some strange reason constantly matches me to other 3-bedded houses or minimum 1st floor flats.

Each time I found a property, a red line popped up to say we did not 'fit the criteria'?  The criteria being only available for 'two or more' people?  Well I made the mistake of contacting the our re-housing team:

"Well there is me and my husband.  We do not share a bed because I have extensive spinal problems.

You could fit two beds into one room.

I have an adaptable bed situated downstairs.

Have you been assessed for adaptations.

Yes, the stairs are too steep and not wide enough to fit a stairlift.

Have you thought of a commode?

I beg your pardon!

Ask your GP or consultant to send us proof of your disabilities.

Are you going to pay the £50.00 fee per letter?

Sorry it is Policy.

If your husband was employed, and paying full rent, you would not have a problem...

My husband is employed.  The man has been employed for years and pays FULL RENT and Council Tax.

Oh well send us 3-months of bank statements as proof of income...

Why?  You can see from the rent account that he pays the rent?

Sorry it is Policy."

At that point, I gave up and told my husband it would be easier to buy the house and apply for grants to adjust it.

Right to Buy now capped at £70,000 discount NOT 70%.

That's alright., how much is the house worth?  Can't be that much surely?

1999:  £76,000.

2022:  £350,000

So here we still sit aged 50+ in our over-sized property, unadapted house that would be far better served to a young family.

Comments

• PamStan
    PamStan Community member Posts: 2 Listener
    Options
    Forty plus years of debilitating health issues have left me at breaking point and I am unsure about which way to go?

I guess there are a few of you that feel 'much a much' the same way for a myriad of reasons so I am putting my faith in you to help clear a path back to coping.
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,724 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    What exactly do you need advice with? If you can give us some information then i'm sure someone will give advice or point you in the right direction.
    I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.
  • Ross_Alumni
    Ross_Alumni Scope alumni Posts: 7,652 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Hello @PamStan and welcome to the online community, thank you for joining us.

I appreciate you speaking so openly about how you feel. I'm sorry to hear that you feel as though you are at breaking point. 

If you ever want to discuss what you are going through then I'm sure that members on the community would be more than happy to support you. This is a very warm and welcoming site to be a part of, so I'm hopeful that you'll find it to be a positive outlet :) 

Do you receive any support from a GP or medical team for your health issues?
    Online Community Coordinator

Concerned about another member's safety or wellbeing? Flag your concerns with us.

Did you receive a helpful reply to your discussion? Fill out our feedback form and let us know about it.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.