Energy prices and manipulation — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Energy prices and manipulation

Options
Biblioklept
Biblioklept Community member Posts: 4,682 Disability Gamechanger
Does anyone else feel like no matter what 'help' is announced today we've all been badly manipulated? 
They've done what they always do, really scaremonger and then offer a lesser extreme so they look like saviours. 

It's like someone breaking your leg and telling you that they're also going to break your arms next week. So you panic and try and prepare for having both your arms and legs broken, and then at the last minute they say actually they're not going to break your arms right now. So you're really relieved and even grateful to them. But you still have a broken leg!

There's literally no reason for the cap to be raised so drastically and repeatedly, companies are still making record-breaking profits. It was never going to get to the extremes stated. Yet we're all going to be very grateful to the new PM for 'saving' us.

Comments

• woodbine
    woodbine Community member Posts: 11,726 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    If the CAP is only increased top £2500 instead of £3500 and the £400 package still made then it can only be for good, the devil of course will be in the detail.
    2024 The year of the general election...the time for change is coming 💡

• Cartini
    Cartini Community member Posts: 1,108 Pioneering
    Options
    The media have to take responsibility for the carnage they have caused by using "sensationalistic journalism".
    There`s an expression in the Navy: Never let the truth get in the way of a good dit (dit = story / tale).

As for a windfall tax, I have mixed feelings. I think absolutely yes, tax them on their profits.  However, I also think..... contrary to they way these organisations dress themselves up as being family friendly, they are definitely not; they are only there to make as much money as they can.  Tax them on their profits and you can bet your last penny they will find other ways of recovering that money from us.
  • Lisatho11987777
    Lisatho11987777 Scope Member Posts: 5,911 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All I can say is if you use for example 10.00 of gas or electric thats what your going to pay if you use 100.00 pound that's what your going to pay at the moment I am using 2.00 a day which is 14.00 a week which is 56.00 a month which is 672 roughly a year I stopped paying a direct debit and pay by a payment card 
  • poppy123456
    poppy123456 Community member Posts: 54,691 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    All I can say is if you use for example 10.00 of gas or electric thats what your going to pay if you use 100.00 pound that's what your going to pay at the moment I am using 2.00 a day which is 14.00 a week which is 56.00 a month which is 672 roughly a year I stopped paying a direct debit and pay by a payment card 

Lisa, it's not just the daily usage you pay for for, you need to add onto that the standing charge and VAT. My gas usage for July/August was £2.21 but my total bill for gas was £10.76.

I would appreciate it if members wouldn't tag me please. I have all notifcations turned off and wouldn't want a member thinking i'm being rude by not replying.
    If i see a question that i know the answer to i will try my best to help.

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.