Black History Month: join next Scope roundtable on 20 October - members and colleagues only — Scope | Disability forum
If we become concerned about you or anyone else while using one of our services, we will act in line with our safeguarding policy and procedures. This may involve sharing this information with relevant authorities to ensure we comply with our policies and legal obligations.

Find out how to let us know if you're concerned about another member's safety.
Please read our updated community house rules and community guidelines.

Black History Month: join next Scope roundtable on 20 October - members and colleagues only

Options
Giovanni_Scope
Giovanni_Scope Scope Membership Team Posts: 149 Pioneering
Hi everyone,

Members of Scope enjoy many great benefits, including the possibility to participate to Scope EDI roundtables (EDI stands for Equality, Diversity and Inclusion).

October is Black History Month. To mark it, Scope organised a roundtable on 20 October, from 12pm to 1pm - more information in the following post.

Only colleagues and members of Scope can join the roundtable.

If you are interested in participating and you are already a member, please check your inbox - we just sent you the exclusive invite to the event.

If you want to participate but you are not a member yet, please sign up as a member for free today: https://www.scope.org.uk/membership/
Giovanni Gaetani (he/him)
Membership Programme Lead
Here East Press Centre, 14 East Bay Lane
E15 2GW, London (UK)

Comments

• Giovanni_Scope
    edited September 2022
    Options

Alt image: a woman on a wheelchair smiling

About Black History Month

Black History Month is a time to support, celebrate and learn from the Black British community and its history. The Month also serves as a time to recognise and reflect on the continued existence of white privilege and anti-Black racism.

Last year, to mark Black History Month, our own Jacqueline Stephens shared with us her experience of being black and disabled.

About the roundtable

The roundtable will cover:

• the importance of Black History Month
    • Scope’s Equality in Race Network
    • intersectionality and its importance in understanding Black disabled identity
    • experiences of being a Black disabled person in the workplace
    • question and answer session 

Speakers

• Sanisha Wynter, a disability and inclusion consultant who gives talks on race, disability, mental health and LGBTQ+ identity
    • Isaac Mutongole, Scope’s Support to Work adviser and co-chair of the Equality in Race Network
    • Gina Silverman, Scope’s Career Pathways adviser and co-chair of the Equality in Race Network

Mark Hodgkinson, Scope’s Chief Executive, will chair the event.

The event will take place on Microsoft Teams. If we can make adjustments to make this meeting more accessible, please let us know.

E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Thanks for sharing this with us @Giovanni_Scope. It sounds really interesting and important. Unfortunately, I'll be at work so unable to attend. However, I'll look forward to hopefully hearing all about it on the forum  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Giovanni_Scope
    Options
    We might be able to share a recording of the video with our members, fingers crossed!

Thanks as always for your support, @L_Volunteer! :-)

E15 2GW, London (UK)
  • L_Volunteer
    L_Volunteer Community Volunteer Adviser, Scope Member Posts: 7,978 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    That would be amazing! Thanks @Giovanni_Scope. Always my privilege to help how and when I can  :)
    Community Volunteer Adviser with professional knowledge of education, special educational needs and disabilities and EHCP's. Pronouns: She/her. 

Please note: if I use the online community outside of its hours of administration, I am doing so in a personal capacity only.
  • Tori_Scope
    Tori_Scope Scope Posts: 12,496 Disability Gamechanger
    Options
    Did anyone manage to attend? :)
    National Campaigns Officer, she/her

Check out our Playground Accessibility Map

Brightness

Complete our feedback form and tell us how we can make the community better.